no log in at start up of XP Pro

Nessie 19:18 30 Nov 2007

I have XP Pro PC and am going to sell it. Rather than reinstalling I have uninstalled the programmes and have deleted all the users and changed mine to XP Pro and have deleted the password. I have un ticked welcome screen but when I restart windows a log in panel comes up with my name which I press with no password and windows starts up as normal. Can I get rid of my name and just get windows to start up with no login. Thanks fow any help

MAJ 19:24 30 Nov 2007

I wouldn't sell it without, AT LEAST, formatting the drive and re-installing Windows.

Eric10 20:08 30 Nov 2007

I agree with MAJ that a reformat is by far the best method as this will remove all user information.
However, if that isn't an option, go to Start, Run and type "control userpasswords2" without the quotes. Uncheck the box labelled "Users must enter a username and password to use this computer" then click OK. In the next dialogue box enter the username and leave the password fields blank if there isn't one set.
Your username will still be listed in the "Documents and Settings" folder unless you create a new user and delete your old one before doing this. You won't be able to delete your old username if you are still logged in as it so you need to log in as the new user to delete it.

woodchip 20:43 30 Nov 2007

Go to run, type regedit, go to edit in menu\find type your name in find delete what it finds the press f3 to go to next untill you have cleared your name from regedit

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

The secrets of creating gory VFX

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache