no line-in on my laptop soundcard - what can I do?

powertool 07:46 29 May 2003

My laptop for some reason hasn't got an audio line in. I would like to use it to record dj mixes from my mixer.

It is a HP Pavilion z4200.

Does anyone know if I could build a little circuit which would allow me to reduce the input so I could use the mic-in instead? I am quite handy with a soldering iron, but not sure what to put together - or even if it is feasible without the quality being lost.

Thanks in advance.

P.

expertec 09:10 29 May 2003

have a look on click here or click here

graham√ 09:59 29 May 2003

In all probability you could use the mic-in to record from the mixer, without 'reducing' the signal. Try at a low volume from the mixer at first. Anything in the user guide or 'help & support' section?

powertool 18:25 29 May 2003

Thanks for the link re. soundcard. I am pretty sure that the laptop soundcard has line-in capability - the volume control shows it as a recording option; is it possible to use one of the USB ports to access the 'line in' on the soundcard? I think installing another soundcard is beyond me though on a laptop because the sockets, volume buttons, etc are built into the case.

The mic-in option isn't going to work though - because the mic control shows the balance grayed out so it must be mono - cheapskates Hewlett Packard!

graham√ 20:32 29 May 2003

Sounds like the sound card is mono. I think what expertec is proposing is you buy another sound card and connect it via USB. Whether that will give you what you want I will leave to others.

powertool 21:29 29 May 2003

Ah - ok I understand - yes that sounds like a good solution

Thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

How modern book design was influenced by illustrated manuscripts

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Les meilleurs logiciels de montage vidéo gratuits (en 2017)