No LAN after formatting hard drive

AndyE32 18:36 26 Jun 2010

I recently formatted my hard drive.
I put Windows XP home edition back on, and now i cant connect to the internet.
In network connections the only thing thats there is 1394 connection. My LAN isnt there.
I called a local computer shop, and they said i need to install the drivers.
Ive been looking for a while on the net for the drivers but im not sure what im looking for.

My network card is built in to my motherboard, a
MICRO-STAR INC . MS-6580 20A
AMERICAN MEGATRENDS INC V3.7 0 05/19/2003.
INTEL Pentium 4 2.67ghz

Ive formatted this drive quite a few times before without any problems.

Thanks

andy

mgmcc 18:52 26 Jun 2010

If you go into Device Manager ("Start > Run" type DEVMGMT.MSC and click OK), does the Network Adapter appear with a yellow Question/Exclamation mark against it to indicate a problem? Alternatively, it might be shown as an "Unknown" device.

In either case, double click it to open its Properties sheet, select the Driver tab and then click the button to Update Driver and see if Windows can install the network adapter automatically.

AndyE32 19:08 26 Jun 2010

hi mgmcc

thanks for response.

On the OTHER DEVICES tab in device manager there is a yellow question mark. When i hit the plus sign there are yellow question marks next to -

Ethernet Controller
Multimedia Audio controller
SM Bus controller
Video Controller (VGA compatible)

Ive tried to reinstall the drivers for these through their properties in device manager and on each one, windows couldnt find them.
I can only connect to the internet through my mac so i can download drivers, if i knew where to look and which ones im after.

mgmcc 20:15 26 Jun 2010

Have a look at the second last posting in this thread which has a link to a site from which to get the drivers for your motherboard. click here

AndyE32 10:59 27 Jun 2010

i went to msi site to download the drivers for my motherboard.
I installed them. The only thing it installed from my above list was SM Bus controller.

I still have yellow question marks next to

Ethernet controller
multimedia audio controller
video controller VGA compatible

i got the drivers for my audio card somewhere so just gotta find them.

Main thing is i still cant connect to internet.
My LAN is still missing in network connections.
Is this to do with ethernet controller?
If so how do i find out what my ethernet controller is?

Was it just drivers for my main board i needed to download from msi site to try and fix this?

onthelimit 11:17 27 Jun 2010

If you have a wireless router and could borry a dongle to access internet, you could try click here

onthelimit 11:18 27 Jun 2010

Or even 'borrow'!

mgmcc 14:33 27 Jun 2010

Normally the "Motherboard Drivers" include those for all of the on-board hardware, i.e. Modem, Network Adapter, Sound Card, Graphics Card etc.

I would have expected Windows XP to have been able to install a Network Adapter with generic drivers from its own driver collection, but that doesn't seem to have worked.

AndyE32 08:19 28 Jun 2010

cheers for replies

it did say mgmcc, when i installed the drivers that a new networking device had been found and installed.

But still in network connections there is no LAN and still only 1394 adaptor.

SM Bus controller did install though.

mgmcc 09:00 28 Jun 2010

Does the network adapter now appear correctly in Device Manager?

AndyE32 10:22 28 Jun 2010

no, in device manager all i have is under NETWORK ADAPTORS - 1394 net adaptor.

ethernet controller still hs question mark next to it.

Ive found out from msi live update that the ethernet driver needed is Intel 10/100 ethernet driver 8.0.27.0. Ive looked on the net but i cant seem to find this compatible with my mainboard.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?