No. of Irish men to fix a wireless connection

stephen_p 11:56 07 Dec 2006

The answer is more than 3, and that includes one who has a networking job.

Ok from the beginning, we have three computers in our house and about two weeks ago things started to get very strange. The main PC is a desktop however myself and my other housemate have laptops which share the same connection

The host computer can connect to the internet fine but when we try to connect either laptop to the connection the desktop gets kicked off and the only way to get reconnected is to reboot the router. Even worse still, even through both laptops will say connected, neither will have internet access.

Stranger still, when the router is reset disabling the web key, both laptops can connect to the internet no problem, the IP address assigned to my laptop is 192.168.0.2, however, when the web key is re-entered my laptop does not find this IP address, instead it is assigned 169.254.x.x and cannot be connected to the internet. and further still when the router is reset and both laptops can connect the host desktop PC can connect but after five minutes is booted off

Have read through loads of threads but none seem to have the same problem. We have tried everything, however after reading this thread a little lightbulb went off in my head, this is what's happening to both laptops

"If the computer is getting its IP address from the router, it will have an address in the same range. If the computer has a 169.254.x.x address, it has been unable to get its address from the router and Windows has defaulted to allocating an APIPA address (Automatic Private IP Addressing) which won't let you get online".

Unfortunetly noone has answered this thread

We have tried putting in all the router setting in manually but the it doesn't solve the problem.

Our router is a standard Actiontec got through NTL

Any suggestions would are welcomed as my head is wrecked, thanks in advance

crosstrainer 12:14 07 Dec 2006

On the main machine that is connected to the router... click start, run and in the dialouge box type cmd this should open a black dos like window.

Now type ipconfig

Post me back with the results you get on screen... also can you provide your routers default ip address? This will be something like 198.168.1.1 (only an example they are all different)

stephen_p 12:57 07 Dec 2006

will post details after 6.00pm

mgmcc 13:19 07 Dec 2006

<<< The host computer can connect to the internet fine but when we try to connect either laptop to the connection the desktop gets kicked off and the only way to get reconnected is to reboot the router. >>>

There is no "Host" computer when you use a router - the router itself is the Host networking device and all computers are Clients, which get their Internet and Local Network access over the LAN from the router. Make sure that you *don't* have Internet Connection Sharing enabled on any connection in any of the networked computers.

Check that all computers are getting an IP address from the router by DHCP in the 192.168.0.x range

<<< the IP address assigned to my laptop is 192.168.0.2, however, when the web key is re-entered my laptop does not find this IP address, instead it is assigned 169.254.x.x and cannot be connected to the internet. >>>

Are you definitely entering the WEP key correctly. This will be:

5 ASCII or 10 hexadecimal characters for 64-bit WEP encryption.

13 ASCII or 26 hexadecimal characters for 128-bit encryption.

Some devices only accept hexadecimal strings, so it is safer to use that format. The hexadecimal characters are the numerals "0" to "9" and the letters "a" to "f".

stephen_p 13:25 07 Dec 2006

Yeh, web key is definetly correct, is the same as I have always used.

will check if IP address assigned for my laptop is from the router by DHCP in the 192.168.0.x range

crosstrainer 14:51 07 Dec 2006

Hi Stephen, will be out tonight so will check your post first thing in the morning.

Forum Editor 18:07 07 Dec 2006

there's no 'host' computer when you use a router. The function of a router is to act as a distributor - that's all it does - and it's not dependent on any one PC for its function.

Presumably your router is connected to an NTL cable modem? I have know the ethernet ports on the back of these modems to cause trouble in the past, and that had the effect of dropping the router offline - it's worth checking that the connections at the back of both router and modem are OK.

stephen_p 18:42 07 Dec 2006

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.80
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1

ball_footy 21:55 07 Dec 2006

hi people have dell dimension 8500 desktop(first computer),just bought laptop for daughter how and what do I need to run both for internet in same house. I have eircom broadband download 1mb and upload 250kbs? do I need to get faster speeds ? and so on could do with help cheers

Forum Editor 22:16 07 Dec 2006

You'll need to post your enquiry in a separate thread. This one is dealing with someone else's problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?