No ipconfig?

seanquinn 18:17 12 Jan 2007

During a recent problem-solving exercise with my home network (see "Configuring a Wireless Repeater") I needed to check the IP addresses of the various components on my home network.
I learned (through this forum)to interrogate the network as follows:
(1) Go to Start Menu and select "Run"
(2) Type "cmd" and click "OK"
(3)This brings up the Command Line Window with its flashing prompt.
(4) You type in "ipconfig" or "ipconfig/all" and you get lots of data about your network connections including their IP addresses.
However on one machine, this doesn't work and I get:
"Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\User Name>ipconfig/all

'ipconfig' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file."

Just wondered if anyone knows why this should happen and if their is anyway to install or re-install that command?

main identity 21:11 12 Jan 2007

try looking here

click here

mgmcc 17:30 13 Jan 2007

Do you have the file IPCONFIG.EXE in the C:\Windows\System32 folder?

LeadingMNMs 20:46 13 Jan 2007

Firstly, there is a space between "ipconfig" and "/all", though that may be just a typo on your post.

As above, it may be caused by a missing path, pointing to the system32 folder. The easiest thing to do to check this is to change to that directory, before executing the command, for example:

3a) cd c:\windows\system32
4) ipconfig /all

LeadingMNMs 20:47 13 Jan 2007

Ignore the thing about the missing space, it works with and without :s

Zero G 12:14 14 Jan 2007

Blimey how many forum sites did you post this problem on!

seanquinn 19:45 19 Jan 2007

Thanks to all who offered help on this one (and apologies if I multiple-posted).

I solved it by finding the ipconfig file in System32 folder (thanks mgmcc) and copying it into the "Documents and Settings" folder, where it now works.

I will have a look at resetting the Environmental Variables (thanks ßeta) as that is obviously the root (!) problem :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?