No Internet Options

User-394903 13:26 17 Oct 2008

To buteman. Sorry not to have got back sooner. I have checked for SP3 in Add/Remove programs and of all the programs and updates that are there, not one makes reference to SP3. Also I noticed that there is no Change/Remove button to roll back IE7 even if I wanted to. Should I be concerned about this? In microsoft Review Your Update History The only reference to SP3 (KB936929) is greyed out under status.

In the tools drop-down, nothing happens when Internet Options is clicked. It tries to open, but disappears after a split second. The same happens in Control Panel when the icon is d/clicked. Not that I expected anything different, but we try these things, don't we.

All help to resolve the Internet Options Issue will be greatly appreciated.

provider 2 13:58 17 Oct 2008

click here

If you must uninstall IE 7, then you must uninstall SP 3 first, according to Ms.

provider 2 14:02 17 Oct 2008

Unless IE 7 has been installed AFTER SP 3.

birdface 14:05 17 Oct 2008

Hi.Maybe download and run Firefox and see if that works ok.Not a fix but will help till you get IE7 fixed.Could you maybe do a system restore in safe mode to a time when you never had any problems.

birdface 14:10 17 Oct 2008

Just wondering if updating to the Beta version of IE8 would solve the problem.Maybe worth thinking about if nothing else helps.

User-394903 14:18 17 Oct 2008

Thank you provider 2 and buteman. Will try suggestions and get back.
buteman. Tried S/R a couple of days ago before I installed 7 MS updates, but not in S/mode. I couldn't restore no matter how far back I went.

birdface 14:45 17 Oct 2008

[Dug this up from another Forum,It is supposed to fix Internet Options.I think you are supposed to copy and paste it.!!! Yes it works. The problem is with the inetcpl.cpl file that Microsoft
updated on my computer. In short here are the instructions for dealing with
the inetcpl.cpl file:

Copy File From C:\WINDOWS\ie7\inetcpl.cpl
Copy File To C:\WINDOWS\system32\inetcpl.cpl

The copy From file is 350 KB; it will replace the 1775 KB file.

User-394903 15:18 17 Oct 2008

buteman. Your suggestion at 14:10 has done the trick. So the I.O issue is resolved and will be ticked. Thanks again.

birdface 15:41 17 Oct 2008

Nice one.Glad to see that you have it working now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Nokia 8 vs Galaxy S8

Best new design books 2017: From vintage infographics to the the psychology of type

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie