No internet on laptop!!! Urgent help is required!!

julius44 19:19 04 Nov 2010

Hello and good evening to u all, I'm hoping that I can get this problem resolved this evening, as i've promised to return the laptop to my friend tomorrow at work. Here is link to previous post:

click here

To cust a long story shot, she brought the laptop into work today, and i'm here with it now....its a sony vaio laptop, really nice bit it wont connect to my internet at home with a LAN cable or wirelessly. The wireless light is ON!!!! When i input the code for my router....it saus windows was unable to connect to my router....but the laptop can see my router wirelessly and a neighbours router as well.

When i input the LAN cable, and use internet explorer, it says thats IE cannot deisplay the webpage...she also has google, and it says the webpage is not available!!!!!

This is the laptop here:
click here#

I need to get this sorted for her today, so that i can return the laptop to her at work tomorrow, with a working internet!!!
Urgent help is needed pls!!!

Nontek 19:32 04 Nov 2010

It should be so easy with a laptop like that - I would reckon that it is faulty, you have obviously tried all the usual things, so I would go for a replacement.

grey george 19:34 04 Nov 2010

If you select tools/internet options from the IE menu (even though it's not connected) what does it say in the connections tab.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:52 04 Nov 2010

If it can find the two routers then there is nothing wrong with the wireless connection.

If you cannot connect through the routers to the internet then its a software problem.

either
Check IE connection is set to connect by LAN and automatically detect settings is ticked

Router requires correct security key (passphrase) encryption
Firewall blocking IE

If can not set address try flushing DNS
Windows 98/NT/2000/XP Flush DNS
Flushing the DNS on Windows is an easy process, outlined below is the steps that should be run if you wish to clear your DNS cache.

1. Open up a command prompt (Start > Run > "cmd.exe" > OK).
2. Type in the command "ipconfig /flushdns"

Windows Vista / Windows 7 Flush DNS

Flushing DNS on newer versions of Windows is almost as easy as the earlier versions but due to Microsofts security additions you must run the command prompt with administrator privileges.

1. Click the start button and navigate to the command prompt (Start > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt)
2. Make sure that you right click on the command prompt application and choose "Run as Administrator"
3. Type in the command "ipconfig /flushdns"

Note: It is also possible to type in "cmd" into the Windows Vista / Windows 7 start menu search field and then right click on the cmd.exe result instead of having to navigate through the various sub menus.

birdface 20:01 04 Nov 2010

Have you tried just switching the laptop off and back on again to see if it picks up your network connection.
If you have a modem and router turn them both off for 30 seconds.Then turn the modem on wait for 2 minutes and then turn the wireless on and see if it picks up a connection.
or right click local area connection and press repair.

lotvic 20:46 04 Nov 2010

Just a suggestion:
I would be inclined to think that all the connection settings have been messed with in her efforts to fix... whatever. So everything is going to have to be checked.

If you have a laptop maybe you could compare the settings on that with yours.

julius44 20:59 04 Nov 2010

Hello all, sorry for delay problem now sorted, i went to IE8, tools, internet options, and I untiked the box, that mentioned connect to proxy server, and I ticked auto detect settings, and it was perfect, thanks loadz!!!!

Nontek 21:56 04 Nov 2010

All's well that ends well. Thanks for your feedback.

birdface 23:13 04 Nov 2010

[that mentioned connect to proxy server]

If there was anything on that it would probably be some sort of virus so maybe time to update and run the security programs once more.
the next time you reboot make sure proxy server is still unticked.
Also maybe disable system restore after running the security programs then enable it again the next time you reboot.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?