No Internet Connection on XP Desktop

woodchip 15:27 28 Sep 2013
Answered

How do I get to connect with a old Medion Desktop? Modem built into motherboard, Running XP Home in Networking in Control Panel it says this

1394 Net Connection Adapter #2

Network Bridge Mac Miniport

I have set it to connect Automatic.

When I try Repair it says cannot renew IP Address.

It shows it as sending Packets, but not receiving none, I take it that it is a Communication Problem between Router and Modem. On talktalk BB it will connect okay with WiFi Dongle but I now have the router next to PC and would rather it is connected by Ethernet

lotvic 16:33 28 Sep 2013

1394 is Firewire port, you could connect/network to another pc and use the other pc's internet connection. Network Bridge MAC Miniport is a Microsoft network driver and bridges two network devices together.

"Modem built into motherboard" not sure what you mean, is that a 56K dial up modem? or have I misunderstood?

Is there an ethernet port as you don't mention a Network Card.

bumpkin 16:53 28 Sep 2013

"is there an ethernet port" bit tricky if there isn't one.

woodchip 17:14 28 Sep 2013

So it looks like it does not have any means of connection to Internet.

By the side of 1394 it says that it is high speed Internet connection.

This is under Networking in Device Manager.

It as Ethernet socket with three computer icons next to Ethernet socket, also as a Dial Up Card Modem plugged into PCI slot, Firewire in Device Manager comes up under its own icon

woodchip 17:20 28 Sep 2013

PS the PCI Card looks like a DSL socket the small clear plug type size, but could not connect that to router as it as the normal Ethernet Sockets in it. only one DSL that connects to Phone filter from Router other are all normal Ethernet size sockets. only way of connecting the PCI card would be the Small plug at one end of wire and normal bigger Ethernet plug on other end. Router also as a USB socket

Batch 17:28 28 Sep 2013

Get an Ethernet board for it - probably pick one up for a few quid on ebay (but you would need to make sure it is the right type of board for that PC - maybe bog standard PCI or even earlier?

woodchip 17:30 28 Sep 2013

May be best, I will check out Next Computer Fair at Sheffield

Secret-Squirrel 17:32 28 Sep 2013

"........It as Ethernet socket with three computer icons next to Ethernet socket"

I can't see that you need to buy an Ethernet adapter as it looks like you've already got one. Check Device Manager as it's probably missing its driver.

bumpkin 18:09 28 Sep 2013

woodchip, if you need a PCI/Ethernet card I have one that I would be happy to give you.

woodchip 20:55 28 Sep 2013

bumpkin Thank's for the offer,

As I thought it does say that it as Ethernet, but it will not configure Even after loading the Medion Driver.

But cannot understand why it says 1934 under Network icon in Device Manager but cannot be seen by the new TalkTalk N Router. But works fine with a old 3Com USB Dongle but slower than it would if I had the correct one, May see if I can Get a N Modem PCI card to fit from Comp Fair.

bumpkin

Coming back to your offer do you know if the card is a G or N card

Secret-Squirrel 21:29 28 Sep 2013

"But cannot understand why it says 1934 under Network icon in Device Manager but cannot be seen by the new TalkTalk N Router."

If you want to use a 1394 connection then you need to connect a Firewire cable to the Firewire socket on your PC. Your router doesn't have such a connection so it'll never work, and anyhow, 1394 is virtually obsolete now and never took off for high-speed connections.

"May see if I can Get a N Modem PCI card to fit from Comp Fair............Coming back to your offer do you know if the card is a G or N card"

G and N are wireless standards, not Ethernet. The two most common Ethernet ones are 100mbps and gigabit.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?