No Internet Connection

dogbreath1 19:34 10 May 2010

HP Laptop G6000. Windows Vista Home Premium SP2.

Usually boots fine and connects to wireless network, but not today.

Getting message (system tray) 'Not Connected - You are currently not connected to any networks'.

Choosing option 'Connect to a network' results in 'Windows cannot find any networks'.

Choosing option 'Diagnose why Windows can't find any networks' results in 'This computer does not have a wireless network adaptor installed and configured'.

Also, Avast AV is displaying 'Urgent: avast! service stopped' and doesn't respond to 'start program' or 'FIX NOW'.

Neither will avast! scan now (in any mode), returning 'Unable to start scan. There are no more endpoints available from the endpoint mapper'

I've not noticed any updates in last day or so (from either Microsoft or HP) and I've tried a System Restore without being able to repair the listed defects.

Any ideas, please?

iqs 19:47 10 May 2010

Could you of accidentally turned of the wifi ?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:47 10 May 2010

Download malwarebytes click here and trasfer via mem stick to your vista machine and run

dogbreath1 20:13 10 May 2010

I admit to doing that previously! But, it's currently enabled.

dogbreath1 20:14 10 May 2010

Thanks. Am currently running the (full) scan and will post back with the results.

dogbreath1 21:32 10 May 2010

15 instances of MyWebSearch removed.

No internet connection.

Jollyjohn 21:54 10 May 2010

Do you get connected if you use an ethernet cable?
Is your router still giving out a wireless signal? If it is, try changing channel. You will need to use a cable to access router settings.

woodchip 21:55 10 May 2010

is the blue light on?

dogbreath1 22:15 10 May 2010

Not tried ethernet cable, but will. Wireless router is fine...three other PC's connected to it OK.

dogbreath1 22:15 10 May 2010

Red light on at side of laptop wireless switch.

iqs 11:51 11 May 2010

Have you viewed device manager for any problems?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

The secrets of creating gory VFX

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache