No Internet Connection

chestnutcake 20:20 09 Oct 2008

Hi

My friend has not had Internet Access on his Advent Notebook for almost two weeks. He has Windows Vista Home Premium with a Netgear Wireless ADSLStarter Kit DGB111G. We have tried to contact Talk Talk without success but one strange thing is that on the Netgear Unit, all three green lights are lit up, which we think indicates that we should be able to connect to the Internet. When we get the message saying No Internet Connection,we can click on diagnose and a panel comes up with the following messages

There might be a problem with one or more network adaptors on this computer.

1] Plug a cable into the network adaptor "Local Area Connection"
Click here when done so Windows can check if the problem is resolved.

2] View Wireless Network Security settings for "dad"
You can type the correct wireless network security key

3] Automatically get new IP settings for the Network Adaptor Wireless Network Connection.

In the case of 1] and 2] above, there is a green arrow lit up to the left of these paragraphs. In the case of the third one, no green arrow, just a tiny Windows Logo Icon.

I don't know if anyone can help with this problem. The trouble is,neither of us are capable with computer technology. Where in 1] it says plug a cable etc,what cable and where is the network Adaptor Local Area Connection. Similarly, we are just as mystified with 2]

Please can anyone help if only to suggest that the problem is either with the Netggear Unit or with the ISP, Talk Talk.

Help would be very much appreciated.

baldydave 20:32 09 Oct 2008

Hi,
Plug in cable means ethernet(network) cable. A cable with clear square plastic ends the same clear plug both ends,one end into side of laptop and other end into the back off the router.Plugging in this cable should automatically get you online.3 green lights if constant not flashing means broadband ok.

baldydave 20:38 09 Oct 2008

Also if router is left on all the time,turn off/unplug router power cable leave a few minutes the restart router.
Have you had a connection previously?
what security software have you got?
in manage connections have you a red cross?below does it say local or local and internet?

chestnutcake 21:26 09 Oct 2008

Hi Baldydave

Thank you so much for your prompt response, I will try to follow your helpful suggestions in the morning and will let you know what happens.

chestnutcake 20:33 10 Oct 2008

Hi again Baldydave

A wonderful Fairy called this morning, in the form of my sister Eve who knows about I.T.

chestnutcake 20:33 10 Oct 2008

Hi again Baldydave

A wonderful Fairy called this morning, in the form of my sister Eve who knows about I.T.

chestnutcake 20:41 10 Oct 2008

Hi again Baldydave

A Special Fairy called this morning in the form of my Sister, Eve, who has I.T. intelligence. I showed her your posts and she took this on board and did the necessary with the Ethernet etc. The computer in question has Avast Security and the Router/Modem is a Netgear. Whatever, Eve got on to Netgear and after a lot of adjusting, she did manage to sort the problem out. Apparently, the Internet doo dah was trying to connect to an Internet Protocol [ whatever that may be] but this had dropped out. She asked why this had occurred and was told this does sometimes occur, not for any particular reason. We were delighted when the problem was resolved - computers do sometimes have minds of their own.

Once again can I say a big thank you for your help, this has been very much appreciated.

Best Wishes

Margaret

woodchip 20:46 10 Oct 2008

Internet Protocol What we all Use TCP click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?