no internet connection

superbowl 14:41 10 May 2007

i recently fitted a dynamode br6004w-g1 wireless router to my virgin media cable modem.after a couple of weeks now when i put my pc on i get a notice saying no internet connection which will stay on for 30 seconds then allow me on net.ive tryed changing lan cable and also resetting the router,which clears the problem for a couple of days but then it starts again?is the router set up right?or has it had its day?

STREETWORK 18:50 10 May 2007

This could relate to how windows loads the drivers in a specific order. you could try to stop any unwanted programs from loading at start up

Click Start, then run, type in msconfig and then select the start up tab. Deselect any programs you do not want to load at start up. Only select the ones you know.

Apply this close the window and reboot, has the problem gone away???

superbowl 20:37 10 May 2007

thanx streetwork just run that program you saidi get about 12 different programmes that run not sure which to disable?not very good at this sort of thing

STREETWORK 20:52 10 May 2007

You should only disable the ones you know you do not need to load, such as office, and any other known software.

Other problems could be with any anti virus software or firewall you are using which needs to load before allowing a net connection.

Possible solution is to uninstall the driver and sofware, unplug the router, reinstall the driver and software, switch off the PC, plug it all back in again, reboot the PC and the drivers will load again. What is important is that you install the software and drivers before connecting the router or it could go pear shaped...

setecio 22:22 10 May 2007

Can you look in Tools-internet options-connections to see if there are any dial up connections in the box ... some malware tries to dial into premium rate numbers, and as you are on ethernet, it won't be able to.

I would run an online scan, might take an hour or so. click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017