No internet

janeme 21:28 18 Dec 2007

Hi, i hope someone can help please,my desktop pc will not open a web page,(not any)keeps coming up with 404 cannot open this page etc etc,im also getting messages saying i must connect & download this software to repair the pc etc,something todo with starware,now i have googled this & lots of things say if you download this tool & that tool etc it will get rid of this spyware,? but i dont want to download all these things & make things worse,(im using another pc for the searches)my operating system is windows xp home,please can anyone offer me any help...
Jane

brundle 21:32 18 Dec 2007

click here
Download AVG, Spywareterminator, Spybot; save to a USB drive, install and run on your non-working PC.
Free and trustworthy.

birdface 00:59 19 Dec 2007

Try running all your Security programs in safe mode.[Just keep tapping F8 as the computer starts]Use your up down keyboard arrows to navigate to safe mode.And run your security programs.And don't download any thing to do with Starware.While in safe mode go to add remove and if you find Starware toolbar on there delete it.

wee eddie 11:25 19 Dec 2007

Definitely don't download anything that advertises itself in that manner. It will, almost certainly tell you that you have xxx number of problems and you need to buy their program to cure them.

Do as "brundle" suggests, then make sure that your AV and Firewall are up-to-date and working.

janeme 16:42 29 Dec 2007

Thank you all so much for your help,sorry for taking so long to reply,but with christmas & things (pcs)in the end i managed to get to safe mode (did not know that was there) & i removed that,but the internet still would not load web pages,so someone i know cleared the ip thing & re-set the modem & it worked,i also installed spybot & once i run that it found bad things,so that done something as well,so thank you all again for your great help & i hope you all have a very happy new year... thank you again...
Jane.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires