No incoming e-mail

tomsam 19:50 15 Oct 2006

As an absolute beginner I have an annoying problem with outlook express version 6 e-mail.
Every time I switch on the computer I click e-mail then I have to go into tools, accounts,properties then servers where it says incoming mail(pop 3)
There is a number I have to remove this number and put in my servers name ie pop.aol.com then click on apply then my e-mail downloads.
The next time I switch on my servers name has gone and is replaced with a number I have to delete this and replace with servers name.
It is rather annoying I am using windows xp home with mcafee 2006 and a dell computer any help greatfully taken.

Totally-braindead 21:16 15 Oct 2006

I'm not certain on this but doesn't AOL use its own program to download emails. If I'm right then it could be that the AOL is resetting itself to be the default email program. I'm sure if this is whats happening you can overide it but I don't know enough about AOL to tell you how. Only suggestion I have is try the AOL help area, there must be one and search for using outlook express. There should be some sort of walkthru.

DieSse 22:18 15 Oct 2006

*my servers name has gone and is replaced with a number*

Is the number 127.0.0.1 by any chance?

tomsam 23:22 15 Oct 2006

Yes the number is 127001 ???

DieSse 23:37 15 Oct 2006

That's a change made by your Anti-Virus program.

See this answer here relating to McAfee and SpamKiller

click here

tomsam 19:18 16 Oct 2006

Tried the above settings are ok server setting is my isp provider.

DieSse 20:04 16 Oct 2006

Did you try disabling SpamKiller?

tomsam 19:00 18 Oct 2006

Yes I have disabled spamkiller and outlook express started up ok I will leave it disabled. Thank you very much for your advice.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone