No idea what is wrong with my pc! Help please?

Camille 19:23 05 Mar 2004

Having had a host of problems with my old pc (see threads click here
and click here )

I went and bought a new pc. However, a friend recently installed xp pro on the old pc in any attempt at fixing it.
Now the pc will start up properly and works fairly well apart from the following problems:
1. If I click on one desktop icon, all icons are highlighted and I cannot open the one I want (I can only open from start)
2. If I try to type capitals using the shift button nothing happens. I have to use caps lock.
3. windows stay open that normally wouldn't and new windows open underneath them

Clearly there are still problems. The motherboard is fairly new, as is the processor, and the memory is brand new.

Any suggestions?

Diodorus Siculus 20:18 05 Mar 2004

Try the system file checker

start

run

sfc /scannow

And click Run.

See if it helps.

The previous threads are amazing... no wonder you gave up and bought a new one.

anon1 20:27 05 Mar 2004

Have you ever tried a different keyboard?

mosfet 20:50 05 Mar 2004

I think annon1 is spot on.
Had the same prob when I joined this forum,shift key faulty.The folk here sorted me too...Les

Camille 20:38 06 Mar 2004

Thanks for the advice - I just got a new keyboard and so far things seem to be running smoothly (although they did for a while just after we installed xp)

Surely after all the time trouble and money I spent trying to sort things out last year, it couldn't have just been a faulty keyboard... could it?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?