NO icons NO desktop!!

wfulton_2121 14:23 08 Jul 2010

hi all,

my windows xp pro laptop has decided not to show any icons on the desktop or the task bar when i log in!! i can get to task manager and manually start applications.

Iv tried to start explorer.exe but nothing happens, the desktop remains empty!

any suggestions please?

thanks

onthelimit 14:44 08 Jul 2010

Some help from Google? click here

wfulton_2121 14:58 08 Jul 2010

thanks but how do i open my computer from the task manager? they keyboard shortcut of windows key and e dosnt work!

onthelimit 15:14 08 Jul 2010

Sorry, missed the bit that you can't open IE from Task Man. Do you have a multi media style keyboard that has a house symbol on it (as far as I'm aware, windows and e won't work).

wfulton_2121 15:16 08 Jul 2010

no!

just tried to get into safe mode and try a system restore but safe mode is just the same! No desktop and NO icons, why would this just randomly happen??

Taff™ 15:17 08 Jul 2010

Interested in this because I was brought an XP Pro laptop this morning with a similar problem. Windows started normally but when you clicked on the user name to log in it showed the desktop with a message that windows explorer had encountered a problem and had to close. Usual stuff about sending a report but whatever I pressed it went to a blank desktop with no icons.

As you said, you can get Task Manager up but no other shortcuts using the windows key work. Client says this coincided with some windows updates last Saturday afternoon. I removed the hard disk and hooked it up to another computer but the vast majority of his folders were empty!

Had to do a repair install of XP Pro to fix it and miraculously all the files appeared in their original folders again.

wfulton_2121 15:20 08 Jul 2010

will a repair install not loose applications and data?

rdave13 15:21 08 Jul 2010

Try tapping F8 (or F5 on some PCs) on reboot and select 'last known good configuration'. Or try system restore in safe mode.

jimv7 16:15 08 Jul 2010

Try right clicking on the desktop, view/show desktop icons.

kdt 16:33 08 Jul 2010

use the task manager to go to microsoft fix it center or kellys korner...forgot was it 91 or other solution number you will have to scroll in kellys korner ..think it was on the right hand side...good luck

Taff™ 17:08 08 Jul 2010

A repair install doesn`t normally lose applications and data but you should back up just in case. Do you have an external caddy you can use by removing the HDD from the computer and transferring the data to another computer?

A repair install of XP Pro requires the XP Pro disk. Do you have one?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?