No hard disk in drive - repeated message on screen

Tammy Troot 06:31 13 Jan 2011

I have a Windows Vista PC. While PC otherwise works normally, I keep getting a message box on screen which says :-
"Sump.Exe-No Disk
X There is no hard disk in the drive. Please insert a disk into drive /device/hard disk/DR3.
Cancel Try again Continue "
Clicking on one or other of the 3 choices repeatedly temporarily gets rid of the message box but it soon returns. Can you help me to remove this irritating problem permanently please?
Tammy Troot

Graham. 09:35 13 Jan 2011

Did you recently install and run a scanning program?

Tammy Troot 16:41 13 Jan 2011

No,I have not recently installed and run a scanning program.

johndrew 16:44 13 Jan 2011

Have a look at the boot order in BIOS. If the DVD/CD drive is first move it to the second position with the HDD your C: partition is on at the first option.

Woolwell 17:08 13 Jan 2011

Have you installed Speed up My PC program? If so uninstall and possible re-install but I have little faith in such programs.

Tammy Troot 19:01 13 Jan 2011

john, since receiving your input I have learned much more about BIOS but have not been able to find the boot order. BIOS is not something I have ever touched. I can say that the HDD drive appears first in the list of drives in the Control Panel.

Woolwell, thank you but I have not installed Speed up my PC program.

Woolwell 19:16 13 Jan 2011

If you have not installed speed up my pc program then you need to do a full anti-virus/anti-malware search as you may have a virus as sump.exe is normally associated with that program. If you haven't got malwarebytes click here then I suggest you download the free cersion and run it.

GaT7 19:30 13 Jan 2011

First try a System Restore to a point before this began to happen. G

johndrew 10:10 15 Jan 2011

Not knowing which BIOS you have I can't point you at the route to the boot order for your PC. However, all BIOS have similar menus so the links should help you select as required:

click here

click here

In case you find a video helpful there are plenty to choose from here: click here

woodchip 11:18 15 Jan 2011

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?