No game port in new computer???

ray-s 18:56 10 Dec 2006

New computer does not have a game port and I am told all modern motherboards are like this as newer jotsticks plug into the usb port. I do not want the expense of buying a new joystick as my Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback has hardly been used and is in perfect condition. I did a Google and found a usb gameport adapter but discovered in the FAQ's that I would lose feedback with this item which I do not want to do.
Any ideas please?

mattyc_92 21:32 10 Dec 2006

You MAY be able to get a adapter for Game Port->Serial
Provided you have a serial port

Sorry I can't be of much help, as I never really use controllers on PC games (although I own a USB one) as most of the games I play are too annoying to change the control settings

Totally-braindead 21:38 10 Dec 2006

Its not uncommon for PCs not to have game ports now. If you really don't want to buy a new controller then get a sound card. Your PC will probably have onboard sound and a seperate sound card will probably give you better sound and of course will give you a game port as well.
Something like this perhaps click here or try your local computer shop. Watch what you buy though as some of the newer sound cards don't have a game port either.

Kate B 23:25 10 Dec 2006

Mind you, what will cost more - a sound card or a USB joystick? Basically, the old game port is obsolete.

kevinjuan 02:18 11 Dec 2006

I had the same trouble, MS Force Feedback didn't work with a usb adaptor. My motherboard also could not address the gameport on the soundcard.

Ended up selling the Joystick and buying a flight yoke & peddals. Never looked back. Not Force feedback but far more accurate for flight sim.

The only other choice is to buy a USB Force Feedback.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

How modern book design was influenced by illustrated manuscripts

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Les meilleurs logiciels de montage vidéo gratuits (en 2017)