No Free Space on new DVD

Scubaman 10:29 14 Oct 2007

HI,
I have just edited a family video using Studio editing software and inserted the new blank DVD and it was rendering for over 6 hours so out of curiosity I checked in My Computer, properties, the available space. My problem is that it shows no free space available, I have tried three other DVD's. I checked a CD-R and that was ok. Any ideas. Thanks

Diemmess 15:15 14 Oct 2007

I assume the edited video is still safe on your HD?

Using My Computer, can you see anything at all on the new DVD ie any file of any sort?

Any chance that you may have used an unformatted re-writable disk?

Scubaman 17:11 15 Oct 2007

Bump
Hi Diemmess,
Yes I have saved the video to HDD. No they are new DVD-R discs. When I insert the DVD whilst viewing My Computer it changes from blank to show that there is a DVD-R present in the drive. If I double click on the drive it shows nothing on the DVD. If I click Properties it shows no bytes available and no bytes free.

roygbiv 17:46 15 Oct 2007

I have this problem, external DVD writer.

Everytime I insert a (blank) disc, I have to enable disc burning !!

My computer-(right click) DVD icon - properties - burning tab/ put a tick in the "enable" box.

Let us know if it works...Alan

Scubaman 18:10 15 Oct 2007

Bump
Thanks for the reply roygbiv, I have looked there and it doesn't give me that option. I can access the DVD-RW (E:) Properties, but then nothing is listed relating to DVD. The only boxes available to tick are 'Enable CD recording on this drive' and 'Automatically eject the CD after writing.

Totally-braindead 19:12 15 Oct 2007

Not wanting to confuse things here but is the Studio program the burning program as well? Only reason I ask is XP on its own can only burn CDs not DVDs you need a seperate program to do DVDs.

Sorry if I've got the wrong end of the stick.

Scubaman 20:15 17 Oct 2007

Bump
Yes I am using the Studio 8 Software. Shouldn't My Computer show that it is a DVD or is this something XP can't do? I have also emailed the manufacturers, Philips, but had no reply yet.

David4637 12:48 18 Oct 2007

Just a suggestion (I use Studio V943). Tick option to create files on HD, rather than using the studio burning option. Then check the size of the VOBs etc on the HD to see if they are less than 4.7 GB. If OK use your writer burning S/W to burn a DVD RW disc. If this works OK burn a DVD R disc. This saves creating coasters, until things are OK. David

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?