No Floppy Drive Detected message at bootup

alba6 13:44 30 Jun 2010

I have a Mesh PC running XP.
I do not have a floppy drive on the PC.
Just this week I have started to get the message "No Floppy Drive Detected Press F1 to resume"
When I press F1 it boots up normally.
I have not made any changes or installed any software although Windows has applied updates at shutdown.
Any suggestions?

Peter 14:26 30 Jun 2010

Sounds like your BIOS setting for the floppy drive have been altered. You should check them and adjust it to show No Floppy Installed, or something similar, and see if that sorts it out. Make a note of any change you make so that you can put it back if you need to and take care not to make any other changes.

Peter.

alba6 14:53 30 Jun 2010

Thanks Peter. How do I access the BIOS settings?

michaelw 15:46 30 Jun 2010

It should tell you briefly on bootup, but on my Dell it's F2, then use the return, esc and arrow keys to navigate. If you make a mistake it gives you the option to save settings or not.

ronalddonald 16:08 30 Jun 2010

Do exactly as peter has said and if possible write down the settings for your BIOS as yo might need it later when you might have to replace the CMOS battery.

Resart ypur computer and see what messages come up before you got to the operating system ie it might press delete button or esc escape button etc to access the BIOS

ronalddonald 16:09 30 Jun 2010

Oh yeah when you do wrtie the settings for the BIOS do it with pen and paper.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:15 30 Jun 2010

Tap the DEL button as it first boots to get into the BIOS.

In BIOS - Advance Ssettings - Floppy Seek, set to disable.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:17 30 Jun 2010

Save and exit (F10) once you have set the floppy drive seek to disable.

If you do not save and exit the setting will not be changed and you will still get the error message.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017