No Ethernet point to connect to wireless

Neeli 16:12 03 Jan 2006

Hi All.

I recently purchased a Linksys ADSL wireless G modem router and wireless USB adapter . . . and I'm so confused!

My ISP is Wanadoo so I thought I purchased the right modem. The problem is my PC does not have an ethernet point. My previous Speedtouch Modem was connected by USB to the modem point in the pc. I have tried to connect to the wireless router directly from the pc. This did work two occasions (none of the ethernet lights came on the box to say there was a connection). I got to a point of downloading the 'Language pack' but just kept searching. I think is wanted to connected to the internet, but obviously couldn't as I had disconnected it. Now it won't let me do anything, only asking me to hook the pc and router up via the ethernet point, but I don't have one!!!! (I was tempted to hurl the silver box across the room last night!)

All I want is to connect one pc (and very occassionally my work laptop) to the internet, without a wire trailing through the house! Please help!

The wireless adapter was simple to install. Ta.

recap 16:23 03 Jan 2006

You can purchase a network card for less than £10. click here and click here for examples.

mgmcc 16:28 03 Jan 2006

Unfortunately, most routers require a "wired" ethernet connection for the initial configuration, because there is a "chicken & egg" situation - you cannot connect wirelessly because it isn't configured and you cannot configure it because you cannot connect wirelessly. Hence the need to start off with a wired connection. Does you work laptop not have a "wired" network adapter installed either? It doesn't matter which PC is used to set it up.

Neeli 16:33 03 Jan 2006

My laptop is wireless enabled and does have the network point, but it is my works one and I don't want to knock out all the network settings already set. I was thinking about using my laptop to configure but was not sure as my ISP settings are on the PC. But I think I will need to enter the relevant ISP settings for the wireless software. Is that right?

mgmcc 16:48 03 Jan 2006

When you install a router, it is the *ROUTER* which connects to the ISP, not one of the computers connected to it. You therefore need to configure the router so that when powered on, it automatically establishes the connection to the ISP. The computers connected to the router get their internet access over the LAN from the router.

It is therefore the router that you need to enter your ISP settings into, not a PC.

tearinmyhairout 18:19 03 Jan 2006

Hi,
My PC doesnt have an Ethernet point either but I jus connected with a USB cable cant you do that?

Forum Editor 18:39 03 Jan 2006

Moving there now.

Neeli 09:47 04 Jan 2006

Tearinmyhairout I tried that but it wasn't doing anything. There is no way to connect a USB to the modem router.

dognabbit 12:04 04 Jan 2006

I believe purchasing the network card for your desktop would be the best solution.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?