No emails being delivered

Yimbo 10:44 16 Feb 2010

My ISP, Supanet, has been doing a so-called "upgrade" on 10th and 16th Feb, which has resulted in a down-grade for me at least! Since 10th, I've received only one email, whereas normally I would have got around 100 by this time! After several phone calls to Supanet, they tell me that their systems are working normally, but they will "look into" my problem. It occurs to me that there may be some other reason why emails are not appearing in my Inbox. Does anyone have any ideas - suggestions? I'm using XP home and Outlook Express. Any help would be much appreciated, thanks!

Sea Urchin 12:03 16 Feb 2010

Have you checked your Inbox on the Supanet webmail site?

click here

Is there any mail waiting there for you? If so then you need to check the OE settings in case they've become corrupted. Might Supanet have changed their server settings in this "upgrade"?

If no mail waiting for you then that's another situation.

Yimbo 12:19 16 Feb 2010

Yes, I've tried Supanet's web mail - several times! Inbox is empty - or so it says!
As regards OE settings, how would I go about checking these - and what should I be looking for!

Jollyjohn 12:30 16 Feb 2010

First things first. Send yourself an e-mail and check it is in the web mail inbox. ( put the time you send it as the subject)
Then see if it downloads to your pc.

Sea Urchin 12:31 16 Feb 2010

If there is no mail waiting in the webmail inbox then there is nothing to be imported into Outlook Express. So settings are probably OK.

Have you sent yourself a test email to see if it arrives in Supanet's inbox, and then whether it gets transferred to OE?

Yimbo 13:19 16 Feb 2010

Yes, I've sent several emails to myself over the period in question - but none have appeared at my Inbox. Perhaps oddly, friends tell me they have received emails I've sent them, but I still don't get any of their replies.

Just sent another test email, this time using my primary address as sender and my secondary address as recipient. This one got through more or less instantly. But I sent another one, reversing the addresses, and this hasn't appeared!
Curious??

Sea Urchin 13:30 16 Feb 2010

Are your primary and secondary addresses both @supanet.com? If not then that's the problem. You can only send from your ISP's address.

Yimbo 13:42 16 Feb 2010

Yes, both addresses are supanet.com. And by the way, thanks for the time you're giving me. I appreciate the help from you folks!

Sea Urchin 13:53 16 Feb 2010

Can you see any obvious differences between the two addresses? (Don't post the addresses on this forum). Presumably both addresses are registered with Supanet, and also presumably both addresses are included in your Account details in Outlook Express?

Yimbo 16:19 16 Feb 2010

Both addresses are registered and appear in the OE Account details. One (my secondary address) was marked "default" and the address ended with ".com(1)" where the other (main address) ends simply ".com" I swapped the "default" around, and find that test emails get through using the default address sending to the other - but not in reverse- i.e. sending to default from the other!

Phew! I don't know about you - but I am really, really confused by all this! Prior to 10th Feb- both addresses worked equally well in either direction. I'm now embarrassed at the amount of time and thought you've devoted to my post. Thank you so much! If you feel like giving up on this- I certainly won't blame you!

palinka 17:16 16 Feb 2010

Have you looked in the Spam or Trash boxes in your supanet webmail?
It may be that the changes in Supanet have caused them to treat some incoming mail as spam or trash (it's what btinternet/yahoo does with previously unknown addresses - ie. anyone who sends you an email for the first time at your supanet address since the change.)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Graphic tees: 14 best websites to find your next T-shirt

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017