No Drives, therefore cannot do anything. Help plea

LAP 12:02 18 Jul 2008

My computers DVD rewriter will not burn. So I removed this and replaced it with a Blu-ray disc rewriter HD DVD-Rom drive GGW-H20L. (a treat)

This did not show in My Computer, the power is on the tray will operate. In device manager it had an exclamation mark next to it.

I spoke to a £1 a minute help line and was advised to reinstall the old drive so that I can reinstall the drivers etc from a cd rom, to inable the new drive to work.

I even tried to reformat, but Windows state there are no drives & therefore cannot read the disc.

At present when I turn the computer on I get the following message.. 'Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key.'

Needless to say I am stuck. Any ideas please.

LAP 12:58 18 Jul 2008

Miss read when trying to reinstall windows. It states No hard drives recognised. I take it from this the hard drive needs replacing?

nosharpe 13:04 18 Jul 2008

In the BIOS, you need to set which device your laptop boots from.
It may be looking to boot from an optical drive whereas it should be booting from the harddrive.

You shouldn't need to replace your harddrive.

If in doubt, take it to a pro.

LAP 13:40 18 Jul 2008

My fault re 'no hard drive' knocked out the power cable.

I now have both drives installed. In device manager both have a exclamation mark beside them.

In properties it states 'driver installed, but cannot find the hardware device'

Can you help me further please?

LAP 13:41 18 Jul 2008

Both drives have indentical connections. Thank you.

LAP 15:51 18 Jul 2008

ßeta, Unstalled drives and rebooted still the same.

In the manual for the new drive it states 'if an exclamation mark is displayed' etc. 'you need to get the appropriate IDE controller driver'

Any ideas how I get this?
And of course what has happened to my old drive?
Cheers.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:21 18 Jul 2008

'you need to get the appropriate IDE controller driver'

No this is a SATA device and only requires that the SATA drivers for your motherboards chipset are loaded.

Are your hard drives SATA or IDE?

LAP 17:07 18 Jul 2008

Fruit Bat /\0/\ I assumed the two dvd rewriters were IDE. How do I find what they are?

Pamy 17:10 18 Jul 2008

Describe the data cable, 2 inch wide flat or other

LAP 17:13 18 Jul 2008

Pamy 1" wide 3/16" thick. Both drives are the same. Thank you.

Pamy 17:18 18 Jul 2008

its SATA

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Android Oreo News: Release Date & New Features

11 must-have iMessage stickers packs by Jean Jullian, Christoph Niemann, Jon Burgerman & more

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Que faire en cas de vol ou perte de votre smartphone ?