No Drives!

tazzo85 19:53 28 Apr 2004

Hiya guys, have just put in a Toshiba DVD-RW in my friends computer, there wasnt any cables or installation disc included as it said it didnt need any. Here lies the problem tho - When i started up the computer, no new hardware was found which was strange, so i looked under My computer, and there wasnt even a D or E drive! The only existing drives was C, A and then the other things such as network and stuff. Both drives on the computer open and close and the green light comes on! Even when i put a disc in it did not detect anything. Apparantly, there was a D drive there before. What have i done wrong? How do i fix this?

PSF 20:34 28 Apr 2004

When you installed the new drive did you check the jumper settings. You will need to make one drive 'master' and the other 'slave'.

tazzo85 20:50 28 Apr 2004

umm no, how do i do that? There was a drive in where i put the new 1, aswell as a standard DVD-ROM drive above that was with the computer i should have thought so.

PSF 20:57 28 Apr 2004

If you look at the back of the drive there are two rows of pins. You will see a small link connecting the upper and lower ones together.
On the top of the drive there should be a table showing you where to put the jumper/link.

tazzo85 21:09 28 Apr 2004

ok thanx, i will have a look at it when im there tomorrow. Thank you again!

PSF 21:18 28 Apr 2004

click here**&p_li=

These are jumper settings for a hard drive. They are the same type as a dvd or cdr.
It is a good example. If you know the make of drive have a look on the manufactures web site for full details.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

Black Friday Deals for Designers & Artists: Adobe, Apple, Corel Painter, Microsoft Surface, Wacom &e…

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires