No display on laptop

taffy101 00:50 15 Dec 2008

I have been looking at a friend's HP laptop which has no display. On startup the windows welcome sound is heard but nothing appears on screen. I tried connecting to a monitor and on the first start up the Hp logo appeared briefly on the laptop screen (a few seconds only) and then the machine started up normally on the monitor screen. On another restart the laptop started straight away to the monitor with nothing appearing on the laptop. On trying the laptop again not connected to the monitor, there was no display again.

I was thinking there must be a fault with the laptop screen, but why did the HP logo appear once for a few seconds but then nothing since? Any clues ?

ambra4 01:16 15 Dec 2008

Check the following

Using the “FN” key (Function) and the “CRT/LCD” key look at the top of keyboard “F” keys

Hold down the FN key and press the CRT/LCD key once

Display will change as follows: -

Press once Laptop Display Only

Press again External Display Only

Press again both Laptop and External Display

You must hold down the FN key each time you press the CRT/LCD key

You have to set the Laptop to show both Laptop and External displays, if set to External

display only, the display should default back to the laptop display every time you power on

or reboot the laptop

taffy101 20:07 15 Dec 2008

Sorry for the delay in replying. I can get the laptop to display on the monitor, but no display appears on the laptop screen when the keys you describe are pressed.

ambra4 21:11 15 Dec 2008

Than you need to get the laptop checked it could be the back light or the inverter on the laptop screen bad

taffy101 22:17 15 Dec 2008

Thanks for that ambra4.

woodchip 23:21 15 Dec 2008

try tapping F8 as the computer starts

woodchip 23:23 15 Dec 2008

try Safe Mode, Laptop resolution may have been changed if you have tried running a Game

taffy101 11:23 16 Dec 2008

Woodchip
I have tried pressing F8 but still nothing appears on the screen so I can't see what's happening to choose safe mode! Also I can access windows on an external monitor and the resolution is normal. I think my friend will have to get the laptop looked at. Luckily it's still under guarantee.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?