No display is it video card or something else

Salamander7 22:17 01 Feb 2014

I switched on my desktop PC today and got no display: the monitor didnt even come out of hibernation as though there was no input. I plugged monitor into another PC and it worked fine so I dont think it is the monitor. The problem machine's case fan whirres and the HD light is on but there are are no test bleeps. Last time I used it there were no problems or warnings of malfunction. What shall I do next?

It is a Medion Desktop though I am unsure of model number. It runs Windows XP Professional.

lotvic 22:32 01 Feb 2014

Is it onboard graphics or a separate card?

Is there a choice of two places to plug the monitor in on back of tower?

Did you try plugging the monitor back in, it might just have been a loose cable connection.

Tip: to switch the pc tower off when you have no display so cannot close down in usual way, hold in the power button for about 10 seconds and it will power down without causing any damage or corrupting XP.

Salamander7 23:35 01 Feb 2014

It is an AGP graphics card which I fitted a few years back. Originally it was onboard graphics which I disabled through the BIOS. There is only one place to plug in the monitor at the back of the tower. I am starting to to think it is the power supply.

wee eddie 00:00 02 Feb 2014

Usually a Monitor will display some kind of message if it's not getting a signal strength

bumpkin 00:11 02 Feb 2014

"It is an AGP graphics card which I fitted a few years back. Originally it was onboard graphics which I disabled through the BIOS. There is only one place to plug in the monitor at the back of the tower."

There must be two then surely.

wee eddie 00:11 02 Feb 2014

Delete the word 'strength'.I don't know how it got in there

rdave13 00:24 02 Feb 2014

There should be a blue VGA connector from the motherboard sockets at the rear. If you remove the card then hopefully the vga output from the mobo should re-enable. Otherwise you will need to buy another AGP card or reset the bios.

Salamander7 10:32 02 Feb 2014

Could it be the motherboard or the PSU rather than card?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:03 02 Feb 2014

My Medion did same on Wednesday, however I got No signal message on monitor.

Fans ran but HDDs didn't attempt to load.

Couldn't boot from any hard drive or from a XP CD in the DVD drive or even get into BIOS.

I suspected PSU, however a complete strip and rebuild and it start and is working OK.

I suggest first you remove and refit the graphics card and retry to boot.

wee eddie 12:02 02 Feb 2014

The reason I mentioned the "No Signal" message is that the lack of it means that there is a signal of some kind present.

Had the PSU failed, I don't think that there would have been a Signal.

The lack of POST Beeps suggests a deeper problem and I'm beyond my pay-scale. Possibly somewhere on the MoBo.

Salamander7 19:49 02 Feb 2014

After using monitor with another PC I plugged it in to the suspect machine just for the lols before I started taking it to bits. It worked fine!!!!! I decided the monitor cable was faulty so I replaced it with a shiny new one. So far all is well. Fingers crossed. I noticed when it booted up no POST bleeps even though it all booted up and worked ok. So, absence of bleeps seems not to be significant in this case.

I appreciate all who have contributed.

Of course I will post again if anything goes wrong.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?