No Display

Young Ranger 16:17 30 Sep 2008

This morning the monitor on my other PC died so I went out to buy a new one. It is now connected but it says "No signal from VGA or HDMI input. I've tried it with this PC and it works OK. I have tried different VGA cables and both the graphics card connection and the mother board connection without success.

Could it be that the HD has died as well?

Diemmess 16:39 30 Sep 2008

No, a defective HD is not likely here.

Much more likely is the failure of the video card.
If you can "borrow" a suitable plug in card and try that it should prove where the fault lies.

It is possible though not certain that you might have integrated graphics as well as the video card, in which case remove the plug-in card and see if the picture returns. (If you do have this alternative, you may have to enable the on-board card in the BIOS first.)

woodchip 17:18 30 Sep 2008

Dead Power Supply in Computer, Top Back Box with all the wires. Lights and fans does not mean the PSU is okay

Diemmess 17:24 30 Sep 2008

Yes .... PSU as woodchip suggested.

The no signal message appears even on a healthy PC's monitor if the computer isn't switched on but the monitor is!

Young Ranger 19:01 30 Sep 2008

I removed the graphics card and connected the monitor via the original motherboad connection and it then worked OK. Have since reinstalled the graphics card and all is well.

Thnks for the help :)

woodchip 22:38 30 Sep 2008

Just done one like yours not my computer. a HP pavilion But the AGP graphics will not revive so leave it upto them if they want to buy one. Onboard is OK

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?