No disk in drive message

Ray5776 18:09 01 Jan 2006

Hello all,
can anyone tell me why I keep getting the message "Please insert disk in drive" or "No disk in drive"
when the disk CD or DVD is in the drive, I have 3 cd/dvd drives and they all do it, not all the time but much too often. I have found an explaination for this on the microsoft site but you need to be Einstein to understand it. Can anyone give me a simple solution please.

Ray

Diodorus Siculus 18:46 01 Jan 2006

Post the link to the MS site and someone will hopefully translate it for you.

Ray5776 19:11 01 Jan 2006

Thanks I will give that a try.

Ray

zemdarin 19:18 01 Jan 2006

Hi Ray I have the same problem and have scoured many forums looking for the answer, as yet nobody seems to have a clue. It would seem this is happening to a lot of people, which is very annoying. I think somebody seems to have invented a way to stop people using their CD R/W. I have an LG GSA 4081B. I always used Windows to write my CDs by dragging and dropping into my R/W or Nero. Neither can even understand now that there is a brand new disc in the writer/player. They can read which seems funny but not write. I can also make films and write them using Pinnacle Studio, but only DVD R/W or DVD R. If somebody has the answer there will be a lot of people happy.

Ray5776 19:27 01 Jan 2006

There are over 100 links to this on the microsoft site, I dont know how to post a link to the links nor do think I would get much response if I could.

Ray

Ray5776 19:34 01 Jan 2006

This appears to be a very common problem, for ZEMDARIN try "microsoft" then go to support and type in "no disk in drive" there may be something there that can help you but I found it a bit confusing.

Ray

Dazza40 19:36 01 Jan 2006

I have had the same problem as well. Appears with mine to have occured since I installed a Lexmark USB printer. Only way I have managed to work around is to unplug the USB for the printer, update the USB drivers and then plug printer back in.
Works fine for a while then PC will not play DVDs and have to do the same. System Restore doesn't always seem to work either. Some times it does, sometimes it doesn't. A longer term fix would be very useful.

Ray5776 19:44 01 Jan 2006

I did not expect a lot of response to this one as nobody seems to know. If anyone wants to visit the microsoft support forum you will see what I mean.

Ray

VoG II 20:50 01 Jan 2006

Copy what is in your address bar when you are looking at the Microsoft site you are talking about.

Paste it as a response to this thread.

Which version of Windows?

Ray5776 21:37 01 Jan 2006

Hi Vog I am using Win 2000 pro.I have read your last posting I cannot paste 100 plus links onto this site.

Ray

Ray5776 21:46 01 Jan 2006

I can go to the microsoft support forum and if you tell me how I may be able to post it here but there are hundreds of pages.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?