No disc in the drive

Elderslie 14:19 11 Dec 2007

I am trying to write to a blank CD but despite my putting a CD in the drive I keep being told "There is no disc in the drive" Apart from shouting at it how can I convince this machine that there IS a disc in the drive? My OS is windows XP and the DVD drive is a Dell TSSTcorp DVD+-RW TS-H653A.

wiz-king 14:46 11 Dec 2007

If it will read a CD it is most lightly the burn laser has gone = new drive.

coolkid267 15:27 11 Dec 2007

yep he's right ive got the same ptoblem tsst corp as well but ive got a zoostorm and they're gonna replace it after calling them several times

coolkid267 15:30 11 Dec 2007

there is some cheap good drives here for the money click here go here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:51 11 Dec 2007

First uninstall and reinstall the drive in device manager.

Also check My computer -right click the drive -properties -recording tab -Enable CD writing is ticked.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:09 11 Dec 2007

Check thatthe IDE ribbon cable is fully inserted at the rear of the drive and on the motherboard.

woodchip 16:23 11 Dec 2007

This could be a windows Problem, I had just the opposite other day it kept saying remove disc when I was starting Computer there was no disc in any drive I even removed Data cables from Drives and restored BIOS defaults. I thought what the hell and booted up with the Acronis Rescue CD I then made a Image of the C:\drive so I could get my Files and e-mails back from the Image. I then restored a Older Image and it was to normal other than I had to get my files back from the Image I created. I have not deleted that yet as I need to check I got them all back

Elderslie 14:49 12 Dec 2007

Thank you chaps you've certainly given me a lot to think about and try!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?