no disc

tonykeeper 09:04 28 Apr 2008

I thought I had found the answer to a problem (PC Adviser Jan 2008 - No Disc), which developed after a memory card was inserted into a card reader on my Compaq Presario, using Windows XP. I, too, get a "No Disk" popup warning on startup, and cannot get rid of it. I tried the solution in PC Adviser Jan 2008 and get as far as "Disk Management." Here, I get a message "loading disk configuration..., but nothing happens. On attempting to shut down my computer I get a series of popup error messages that, for instance "2d4", "1d4" will not shut down and do I wish to close these files without saving....etc. No matter what, the computer will not shut down and as there is no "off" switch, I can only shut down by removing the plug... I have even tried to revert the system to an earlier date (ie, before the card reader was used), but to no avail. I should be grateful for assistance

tullie 09:15 28 Apr 2008

What do you mean by no off switch?Computers are usually turned off by going to the appropriate button on your desktop.Also to be honest,i have never seen a computer yet without an on/off switch,otherwise you couldent turn it on,i apologise if i havent read your thread prperly.

johndrew 09:29 28 Apr 2008

If the laptop fails to shut down when you press the power switch could it be the `Power` (Control Panel/Power Options/Advanced) options are incorrectly set. Under `Power Buttons` the option should be set as `When I press the power button on my computer Shut down`.

Not being certain of the exact problem, are you booting with a memory card inserted; if so this could be causing the problem. It may also be that for some reason the BIOS boot sequence has changed and the laptop is treating the card reader as the primary drive.

Eric10 10:21 28 Apr 2008

In severe cases where you need to switch the computer off because it won't close down then you just have to hold the power switch in for about 5 or 6 seconds and it will then go off.
If your Presario is a desktop PC you may be able to clear the "No Disk" problem by disconnecting the card reader where it plugs into the motherboard. If the error doesn't appear on the next boot up then switch off and reconnect it again. If the error returns then it may be that the card reader has been damaged.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?