No difference in speed

charlton200 07:17 24 May 2008

Hi
I have just changed from tiscali 1 mg broadband to o2 wireless 8 mg.
I know i can only get about 3 or 4 mg in my area and on all the speed test i am getting over 3mg.

But it dosn't seem any faster than when i was on 1mg with tiscali. In fact a lot of time it seem slow.

Gongoozler 07:21 24 May 2008

It depends on what you are doing. In most cases your speed is limited by the site you are downloading from.

charlton200 07:23 24 May 2008

Just visiting my normal sites (not downloading)
Banking, news etc.

crosstrainer 08:17 24 May 2008

Speed is determined by several factors:

Distance from exchange

Old copper wire will never support 8MG

This is why all ISP's describe the maxium speed as "Up to"

jack 08:21 24 May 2008

your distance from your exchange[In cable run not as the bird flies]the contention ratio[number of people sharing the exchange equipment and their activity in addition to the performance at the ISP end of things
-Remember these offers are always 'upto' 8/20 mbs
I have recently changed from 2mbs to 'upto8.
My regular input is 5.3 to 5.6- double what I was getting but not 8 and the contention ratio is 20[where typically on most of the big named ISP's it can be as much as 50.]

Technotiger 08:25 24 May 2008

If you are getting over 3Mb on an 'up to 8Mb' broadband package, then you are doing pretty well, so I for one, don't understand what you are complaining about.

I am on a similar 'up to 8Mb' package but I know very well that my package is in fact a 2Mb package - I am lucky, and do consider myself so, if I get 1.8Mb regularly. This seemingly slow package does not cause me any problems what-so-ever, I am quite happy with the Actual speeds on my computer.

Technotiger 08:26 24 May 2008

PS - my Contention Ratio is 50:1 .....

charlton200 10:04 24 May 2008

I know i can get up to 4 mg in my area and my connection is showing 3mb which seems good, buy in reality my surfing experience in no faster than when I was on 1 mg.

jack 12:06 24 May 2008

Google around or the ISP site itself

Snec 12:44 24 May 2008

I get 7.2Mb most of the time but in use, for most things, there is no noticable difference from the old 2Mb days.

If I'd had to pay for the increase I would have thought it a complete waste of money.

Gongoozler 14:29 24 May 2008

Out of interest, how long does it take to refresh this page. I fins that it takes about 1 to 1.5 seconds, but its about 4 seconds before the hour glass goes to signify that the process is complete

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?