No Dialling sound

huzzar 12:28 06 Jun 2003

I have just got a new PC running WinXP home. there is no dialling sound when I go on the Internet although the box is ticked. I have sound on everything else. any ideas please.

Oriole 14:07 06 Jun 2003

Try going to Control panel/phone and modem options/properties/modem/ speaker volume.

Hope this helps

huzzar 15:14 06 Jun 2003

Thanks Oriole - I went there and speaker was 'on'.

I'm still in dark on this one.

penny 15:36 06 Jun 2003

Have you tried Control Panel, System, Hardware, Device Manager, Modem Properties and change setting in there. I have found that you have to change both places for some reason.

huzzar 15:43 06 Jun 2003

Thanks Penny - it was 'on' so it must be something else. I have only been using one of my speakers, I don't think this could have any effect on it but I will connect the other and see.

hugh-265156 15:51 06 Jun 2003

is this AOL? i think it disables the dialing sound

penny 19:25 06 Jun 2003

One last place to look, open Outlook Express, Tools, Accounts, Mail, Properties, Connection, Settings, Modem Configure, tick Modem Speaker.
I only know this because I had to find them all so that I could STOP the sound.

Leejg 21:39 06 Jun 2003

On Win Me
Go to Settings/Dial-up Networking right click your Int connection and chose properties. Click configure modem on general tab and see what your volume is set to.
It might not be exactly the same but it could help.

huzzar 10:15 07 Jun 2003

Penny, Thanks again - been there and it was ticked for speaker - guess I'm stuck with it.

Leejg, thanks but I'm using WinXP.

huggyg71, Thank you but No it isn't AOL.

If I ever find out why and get a dial-up sound I'll let you know on this thread.

huzzar 17:20 14 Jun 2003

Still haven't found out why I don't get any dialup sound through my speakers. I found the same thing on a friends XP PC so maybe it is the same for all Win XP Home edn computers.

Its not fixed but I will tick it.

Andybear 18:38 14 Jun 2003

I've got Win XP Home and when I had a dial up connection I had dial up sound. I don't know how though, it was there right from when I created the account.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?