No devices in device manager!

moggers 22:44 27 Jan 2008

Hi strange problem, when i had a problem with a family members pc connecting to the internet I looked in device manager to see any if there were any problems there, and there is nothing listed at all? I also looked in the event log and there are no entries there either, any ideas anyone? running xp and logged on as an administrator??!!

brundle 22:49 27 Jan 2008

1 or 2 things to try....click here

moggers 22:57 27 Jan 2008

Ill try that, oh and while your here I have the same problem witht the network connections screen getting the message "the network connections folder was unable to retreive th list of network adapters on you machine please make sure that the network connections service is enabled and running", I have checked the bios and and LAN is enabled . . . . . . . . . . . ..
Thanks for all your help

brundle 23:02 27 Jan 2008

Sorting the device manager issue might solve that one it's essentially the same thing, Windows is `looking` for hardware to list in the Network Connections window - if it can't list anything in Device Manager, it won't list any hardware anywhere else.

moggers 23:05 27 Jan 2008

OK thanks I will try this in the morning as o time now will keep post open and hopefully be marking it resolved in the next few days cheers

moggers 17:50 07 Feb 2008

I followed the link and in the SERVICES.MSC screen all but 2 or 3 services are disabled, is this normal or should I enable most if not all services?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:54 07 Feb 2008

the services. click here

brundle 17:55 07 Feb 2008

No, that's not normal. You can re-enable most of them (not all are required) but it's an indicator of something badly wrong with the OS or a virus/trojan/spyware infection. Even if the services can be started manually (some are dependent on others so you'll be forced to backtrack to start some of them after starting others that are required) I would give the machine a thorough anti-virus and antispyware scan. Consider re-installing Windows too, who knows what else has been affected

moggers 17:59 07 Feb 2008

Thanks for all the invaluable help was really starting to pull my hair out with this one, the device manager is now viewable and for some reason the NIC was disabled so probably the root of the problem, will post back shortly with hopefully a result, just one more question I am going to connect to the internet with a patch cable from another desktop if the PC in question is infected by a virus can the other PC be infected?

brundle 19:23 07 Feb 2008

Yes, it can. Download some AV software using the other machine first and install it (on the problem one), if you have a way of transferring the file (flash drive, CDRW for eg)

AVG or Avast will do; click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?