No desktop and taskbar

shazadkashmir 00:27 10 Jan 2009

Help

My pc starts up but when I log on there is no desktop, or more accurately it stops displaying after like a minute of two.

What can I do to reverse this trend?

P.S. Im using XP, pc is about 3half years old, 2.6 ghz, amd sempron, 180 gb

MAJ 00:41 10 Jan 2009

Press Ctrl, Alt and Delete to bring up the Task Manager, click the Processes tab, make sure Explorer.exe is running, if it isn't, go to File > New task and type in explorer.exe and press OK, if I remember correctly, I'm on a Vista laptop at the moment. Does the problem still occur when you do that?

rdave13 00:42 10 Jan 2009

Try 195 right hand column here; click here

Download and update these two programs, free if you only run manual scans.

click here mbam

click here SAS.

shazadkashmir 00:47 10 Jan 2009

Yes, it is running, albeit with problems as it keeps going on and off, how do i sort this out for when i restart my pc though?

What do them programs do?

shazadkashmir 00:49 10 Jan 2009

Obviously what I think has happened is that explorer.exe is encountering sustainanility problems?

MAJ 00:54 10 Jan 2009

Those programs are antimalware programs, try running them see if they detect any malware, if they do, let them remove it. If they don't run in normal mode, try running them in Safe Mode. Restart your PC and press F8 until the advanced startup menu appears, from that enu choose the Safe Mode option and press Return.

shazadkashmir 00:55 10 Jan 2009

Will they definitely work thought cos obviously I can still run programs it just seems to be a problem with explorer.exe?

MAJ 00:59 10 Jan 2009

"Will they definitely work"

Yes, they will work in that they will remove any malware which might be causing the Explorer problem. They are both free by the way.

rdave13 01:00 10 Jan 2009

Try booting in safe mode with internet connection. Keep tapping F8 (or on some PCs F5) and you will come to a screen , eventually, to pick safe mode (with internet connection). Try my first link first then download and run both programs still in safe mode. Try quick mode in both programs as they may take hours to complete. Reboot and then run full scans.

shazadkashmir 01:07 10 Jan 2009

Alright mate, thanks, let me run a scan.

shazadkashmir 01:08 10 Jan 2009

Do you advise I Run McAfee WHILE Im running SAS, as McAfee is in the baclground and has picked up a few threats and so has SAS. Will there be a conflict of detection issues?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone