No Default Gateway - limited connectivity

Tizzle 10:42 27 Jun 2010

Have been trying to sort this for days now. PC lost internet connection, (ADSL connection) and gave "limited connectivity" message. I thought it was onboard NIC card, so replaced it with PCI card - not fixed. Connected my laptop to ethernet cable - works fine, so router/cable combination OK.
Took PC to another location, (DSL connection) and connected to that network (which has working computers) - still same fault. Running IPCONFIG shows no Default Gateway set, and an IP address beginning 169.254.X.X which I believe is APIA related. Have disabled APIA in registry, and ran all th etools I can find (IPCONFIG /release/renew, netsh ip reset, netsh winsock, flushdns, etc.etc.) all to no avail.
Finally had enough - deleted HDD partition, reformatted and re-installed and STILL have the same problem on both NICs. Have now tried setting fixed IP address - "limited connectivity" messaege has gone, but still can't load a web page.
ANY help gratefully appreciated, before I pull out what remaining hair I have!

Tizzle

Jollyjohn 15:43 27 Jun 2010

I no Default gateway is listed it would suggest the NIC's are not working properly. In device manager is there a yellow exclamation mark? Are they listed at all?
Ensure you have the correct driver for the NIC
And clutching at straws have you tried a different socket on the router?

Tizzle 23:45 27 Jun 2010

Hi Jollyjohn,

Have tried a couple of the router ports, which made no difference.
Device Manager shows the NIC to be working properly, with the latest driver, but I'm going to get a new NIC tomorrow just for my own peace of mind - will see how we get on after that!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?