No connection with BB

Diemmess 14:41 09 May 2010

Elderly acquaintance asked me for help.
He says he uses Tiscali and has done successfully for at least a year.

The computer behaves in everything except nothing happens when he tries to go online. Clicking on IE does nothing.

He has a Siemans router - normal lights and has tried rebooting the router more than once.

I hope there is a simple routine which will give him back his connection? If there isn't, then he will have to take it to "local repair man" because he is very vague when questioned.

Pineman100 17:20 09 May 2010

I assume you're having to deal with this at "arm's length", down the phone? If so, I sympathise - I have to do similar things with my old dad, and the problem is always getting him to understand what I want him to do.

Was this router supplied by Tiscali and has the old chap still got his Tiscali broadband installation CD?

If so, it might be worth talking him through uninstalling the router and then reinstalling from the CD.

Pineman100 17:23 09 May 2010

Just another thought - is he using a cable connection to the router, or wireless?

If it's wireless, he hasn't accidentally switched off his computer's wi-fi switch, has he?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:08 09 May 2010

Check device manager for exclamation marks against the network adaptors.

Diemmess 18:39 09 May 2010

Thanks both
Yes it is a plea from 9 miles away, phone only if possible!
Tonight I have other things to do but will return tomorrow.

Meanwhile, he says he has two Siemens routers both presumably sent to one order.
I don't want to have to take him through installing the spare!

I hope this is a software problem and nothing to do with the router.

Diemmess 10:42 10 May 2010

Have been in touch this morning.

Now he tells me his router shows 4 greens and one red light. The red? is an online indication normally green!

No yellow triangles in Device Manager.
Tiscali sign-on? reports error 678

It takes him a long time to reach the phone but I asked him to look for the Tiscali installation disk.
If/When he finds it, I hope I can talk him through installing his unused duplicate router.

Any pitfalls in that procedure?

Pineman100 11:35 10 May 2010

Did you ask him to check the matter of his wi-fi switch (if the computer is a laptop that connects via wireless)?

Pineman100 11:46 10 May 2010

appears to mean that the server is not responding to his router's call. Is there any chance that he's mucked up his account settings? Maybe the server names? For Tiscali (which is actually now Talk Talk) the servers are:

pop.tiscali.co.uk
smtp.tiscali.co.uk

Diemmess 12:55 10 May 2010

Every possibility Pineman100!

He is a spirit trapped inside a failing body.
I went to a deal of trouble visiting several times trying to make sense of his BB connection with AOL. I failed to find any evidence of AOL BB and he wasn't ready to get down to first principles.
Though he keeps a very tidy "office" he is a paper man and really struggles with his computer.
I think he finds trouble and then make unwise forays before giving up and seeking help.

Server a/c is getting a shade complex for me, particularly in view of his vague memory and lukewarm help. We shall see.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017