No connection after recovery

highside 12:41 20 Feb 2010

Have used my laptops recovery discs to restore a laptop prior to disposing of it, all went well except it will not connect to the internet.
Win XP / Broadband form local provider - My other PC connects to my service no problem.
Using the diagnostics I see the message "No connection etc...because the network did not assign a network address to the PC"
If it wants an address where do you enter it assuming I can find what it is.

Can someone tell me where to start please, dont remember having to enter any settings under similay circumstances before?

Thanks

MAJ 12:49 20 Feb 2010

Who is your BB provider?
Are you connecting wirelessly or using a wired connection to a router or are you using a modem?
How does the other (working) PC connect to your ISP?

retep888 13:27 20 Feb 2010

In device manager and under network adapter,is there any yellow question/exclamation mark?

Is there any button you have to press to activate wireless connection such as Fn/F(1-12)?

highside 15:23 20 Feb 2010

Thanks for replies but found the answer. Had to turn the cable modem off at the mains and on again all is well.
According to the ISP you are supposed to do this to make the system record the address for a new PC
I have never had to do it before but there you go.
I can now swop the ethernet cable between two laptops again and connect without doing anything else just like I have in the past.
Guess that the recovery made the system lose its memory!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017