no connection after defrag

andalusian 22:18 26 Feb 2007

Hi

i'd consider myself an advanced pc user but i've gotten myself into a pickle. i'm fixing a computer for a friend of mine because shes having some spyware issues. i live in the united states and i have comcast cable internet. It was working fine on her computer, but after i defragmented the hard drive, it just says "limited or no connectivity" i've tried disabling the firewall, disabling and uninstalling virus/spyware removal programs (avg and adaware) but nothing works. my connection is fine once i plug it back into my computer, so i know theres nothing wrong with the internet itself or the router. shes running windows xp home edition on a dell desktop.

this is driving me nuts...i need to get this computer up and running again. any help would be appreciated.

-katie

Strawballs 22:46 26 Feb 2007

Have you checked in internet connections that it is ticked for connect through Lan and that never dial a connection is ticked.

Ashrich 16:32 27 Feb 2007

Try a Winsock fix , that's the thing that get broken most often when removing spayware and viruses , click here for one you can download and run , hope this helps .

Ashley

Ashrich 16:33 27 Feb 2007

That should read " spyware "

Ashley

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

This is what design agencies will look like in 2032

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache