no communication from printer to laptop

jainey 10:53 26 Jan 2010

New to this so sorry to be pain, but have installed Lexmark 1250 printer with cd to Asus laptop, plugged printer in at mains and laptop and when click on print, msg appear saying no communication from printer to computer. have looked all thru google but cannot work out what i am doing wrong.

mgmcc 12:09 26 Jan 2010

In "Control Panel > Printers", check in the printer's Properties that it is set to use the correct port. It should be using something like:

Port - "USB001"

Description - "Virtual printer port for USB"

If, at the time of installing the software, it couldn't find the printer on a USB port, it may have defaulted to installing on the Parallel port - LPT1, so that it needs to be changed to the USB port.

folsom 12:14 26 Jan 2010

Check in control panel if using XP, printers and other hardware,then view installed printers,look for Lexmark and ensure it is showing as "ready", if not go through the "add printer wizard" and try again.If you are using Vista it may be different and not a system i am familiar with.

jainey 15:33 26 Jan 2010

Thanks to both of you have tried all suggested but the usb port is correct and also printer comes up as ready am i being particularly silly here. certainly feel as if i am !

jainey 15:35 26 Jan 2010

I am using Vista by the way.

Woolwell 15:54 26 Jan 2010

With Vista - Open Control Panel - hardware & Sound - Printer. You should see the Lexmark 1250. If not then you haven't installed it properly. Right click on it and select properties and the click on Print Test page. If it doesn't print - follow the wizard. If it does then the problem may lie within the program you were using.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?