No CD Drive on my laptop

matta 17:31 30 Oct 2003

I have got a laptop from a company sell off and it does not come with the ATAPI CDROM drive. As the hard drive has been wiped and has no operating system on, I am a little stuck on loading one due to the lack of a CDROM drive.
Does any one have any ideas, BTW it does have a working 3.5 inch floppy.

spikeychris 17:37 30 Oct 2003

External through USB?

graham√ 17:39 30 Oct 2003

You will have to obtain a CD-ROM, a licensed copy of Windows system of choice and a startup floppy disc.

matta 17:45 30 Oct 2003

Thanks Guys,

Spikey Chris i wondered at your suggestion if a win98se startup disk would allow USB connection but thinking it through it seems unlikely.

Graham,

I have tried to get a CD drive for this laptop but can't get one anywhere nobody is stocking them any more (laptop 2 years old).

I was just hopting there was some awy i could get WIN 98SE on the laptop just to ID an external CDROM drive

graham√ 19:08 30 Oct 2003

There are 3 Atapi CD-ROMs on Ebay. Don't know if they will fit in a laptop.

If you open up the laptop, could any old CD-ROM be hooked up temporarily?

jonnytub 19:16 30 Oct 2003

sorry graham the connectors on a laptop vary grately from those of a desktop and it could get very sticky with wire and soldering (certainly not worth the risk). give me the make, model and spec of the sytem and i will keep my eyes open

matta 19:19 30 Oct 2003

Thanks everyone, i have just tracked a ROM drive down at Novatech, with a little help fronm the digital spy forum.

Placed the order waiting for delivery, well pleased

thanks all

spikeychris 19:32 30 Oct 2003

matta, "Spikey Chris i wondered at your suggestion if a win98se startup disk would allow USB connection but thinking it through it seems unlikely."............good point.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Nokia 8 vs Galaxy S8

Best new design books 2017: From vintage infographics to the the psychology of type

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie