No Caps Lock Beep

Chris Clayton 17:52 02 Jan 2006

I have tried without success to turn on the 'beep'you should get when using Caps Lock (and Num and Scr Lock) using the correct procedure over and over again. (Accesibility menue, checking NumLock shortcut hotkey is on, etc etc.) The menue pops up when I press the Fn / NumLock Hotkey, but I cannot get any sound from the CapsLock key although sound is OK for everything else?

Any ideas? O/S: WXP2

VoG II 17:57 02 Jan 2006

In Accessibility Options have you ticked Use Togglekeys?

Hamish 17:57 02 Jan 2006

click here or try Google

woodchip 18:01 02 Jan 2006

Don’t know what you are on about I have two Desktops one 98se other XP Home Laptop XP home and none of them beep with the above. Only thing I can think is Sounds as got turned off In Control Panel\Sounds and Audio\Sounds Check there and try by experiment

Chris Clayton 18:58 02 Jan 2006

Yes VoG I have ticked Use ToggleKeys but get no sound. Hamish, thanks for your link from which I have activated Sound Sentry, so I can get the desktop (etc) flashing when CapsLock is pressed, but still no sound! (though Sound sentry is supposed to flash WHEN there is a sound!) Woodchip ---- I am not sure you understand what this is about, presumably you have not turned the beep on (ie.Togglekeys). My Caps Lock beeps OK on my W98, but not on my WXP machine. The mystery continues.

VoG II 19:07 02 Jan 2006

The sounds are made through the PC speaker, not your external speaker click here

I've just checked this - the beep comes from inside the tower, not the speakers.

So, do you have a PC speaker and is it working?

Hamish 19:11 02 Jan 2006

As VoG™ has stated. I have also checked and the instructions in the link work forme

Hamish 19:24 02 Jan 2006

You may also want to have a look at this site click here

woodchip 19:59 02 Jan 2006

That's a point as My new XP desktop, Does Not have internall speaker, Hence I get no Post beep

Chris Clayton 19:48 03 Jan 2006

Thanks everyone. My computer is a Laptop, an ACER Aspire 5001 WLMi, with its own speakers. So if I am understanding your posts correctly I should be getting the beeps, when the Accessibility options are correctly activated, should I not?

VoG II 19:52 03 Jan 2006

Not as I understand it. The 'PC speaker' is different to the speakers that play wav files and so on.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?