no browser / intermittant

hi folks,i formatted my drive yesterday,got mcaffe on prior to internet connection,then the problems started,after downloading a third of the 30 odd updates from windows,i started getting red not downloaded messages,at the same time in OLE6 i started getting the following-

The host 'mail.virgin.net' could not be found. Please verify that you have entered the server name correctly. Account: 'mail.virgin.net', Server: 'mail.virgin.net', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 11001, Error Number: 0x800CCC0D

this is despite the connection being good (45.2kps) and remaining connected,is it likeley to be something in the "internet options" list as im not sure what should be checked or not?

McAffee found 2 potentially unwanted programmes which i quarantened and one virus which i deleted,ran update and scan again-clean

i can occasionally cure this with a re boot
any advice folks as im boggled

Nellie2 10:29 03 Apr 2004

What were the potentially unwanted programs that appeared and what was the virus???

Nellie2 10:29 03 Apr 2004

oh.... and what is your operating system?

Terminator.exe and FondleWindow.exe are in quaranteen,cant remember what was deleted,ran stinger but it was clean . OS is XP Home

put down to server problem,ok after a day or two,thanx anyway all

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

11 best portfolio websites for designers and artists

Office for Mac buying guide: Price, Office 2017 rumours & new features

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?