No Boot after Cloning

Procrastinus 13:10 07 Dec 2008

I want to go to a larger HDD, so I have used Norton Ghost to clone 'C' to the second larger HDD 'F'. However when I try to run the machine on the cloned disc, having reset jumpers and disconnected the original drive, all goes OK until when the 'Welcome' screen should appear. All I get is the Microsoft XP logo that is used during the 'Shutdown/Saving your settings'. The system hangs there and all HDD activity ceases. I have run the installation disc and 'fixmbr' but to no avail. I wonder if SP3 has anything to do with it?
Help appreciated.

scotty 14:28 07 Dec 2008

I used the method described on this site to upgrade to a larger harddrive - click here

It was quick, used free software and worked without problem. Just make sure you pay attention to the warnings (red font used).

Procrastinus 20:06 07 Dec 2008

Ouch - that will take a bit of digesting!
I will post back on success or otherwise.
Thanks for your reply.

Technotiger 20:21 07 Dec 2008

I am using XP Home (SP3). I recently cloned my original internal Hard drive to a larger external hard drive placed within a USB Enclosure. Using Acronis True Image it took only about half-an-hour or so, I then simply swapped the drives and continued with the new larger drive in my PC, with everything exactly as it was before, with no hiccups whatsoever.

So I don't think that your SP3 should have made any difference.

Procrastinus 18:43 08 Dec 2008

Well, scotty, thanks - it was a bit daunting at first, but I have had a small amount of experience with Ubuntu so that helped!
The main thing is that it worked and I have joined that forum.
Thank you Technotiger. I don't have Acronis True Image, but your advice that it could not be SP3 was great - I wondered if Uncle Bill had slipped something into SP3 to boost profits!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?