NO BLEEP

THOMASIO 18:47 03 Nov 2004

When my computer is bootng up I never hear a bleep.
Should there be a bleep ?
The fact that there is no bleep does this signify a problem ?

User-312386 18:51 03 Nov 2004

Does it boot up ok?

woodchip 18:52 03 Nov 2004

Just fitted a new PCchips board and it does not beep. New technology, it’s nice to hear the single beep as that tells you that Power good is OK on the board. Only way now of finding out if Power Good is No Good is it will not start

THOMASIO 19:04 03 Nov 2004

Yea it boots up fine no problem.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:19 03 Nov 2004

Case speaker connected?

THOMASIO 19:23 03 Nov 2004

Yes I can hear the Modem during dial up.

Dorsai 19:28 03 Nov 2004

sounds like a forward step in a retrograde direction.

A nice single beep to say 'All ok, Please wait, it's all working, and your OS will be with you shortly'

Now silence, meaning 'all ok' or perhaps 'nowt happening' so wait, and see.

keith-236785 20:15 03 Nov 2004

THOMASIO, the fact you can hear the modem does not mean the pc speaker (small speaker inside the case) is connected as most modems either have their own speaker on the modem or use the system sound card.

has this always been like this?, if so i wouldnt worry

if you want to open the case, look for the case speaker wire (normally black/red twisted wire from the front panel/bottom of the case to the motherboard. see if it attached and if it is, take it off and turn it round it might just be on the wrong way round (doubt it will make a difference but nothing to lose) MAKE SURE POWER IS OFF TO PC BEFORE GOING INSIDE.

depending who built the case, it might even be on the wrong pins, best not to worry too much, as already said its working fine and is nothing but a little niggle.

good luck anyway

woodchip 20:27 03 Nov 2004

My speaker is connected but the new mobo does not beep as above. It's a new thing, if it do's not start what good is a beep as you know the computer will not work. Beeps should still work for bad Graphics or Memory

woodchip 20:34 03 Nov 2004

It's the first time in a long time that the BIOS on this new board that I got is a Ami, not Award, that may play a part in the above.

THOMASIO 11:23 05 Nov 2004

Sorry for not replying guys, have been away for a few days. I guess I'll not worry to much, next time I open up I will take PAPERMANS advice and take a look. Many thanks to all.
THOMASIO

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?