No Beeps on bootup

john-232317 15:52 04 Dec 2006

Need some help please guys.....

Had a problem with the graphics on the monitor, sometimes I would boot up and nothing, power off undo and redo connection on card then it would be ok. In the end I used to leave pc on 24/7, but then a dreaded XP update that re-booted and nothing since then.

Tried a different graphics card but no go, all the fans start up including graphics card, and while checking these realized that there are no beeps on bootup.

Could it be MB or PSU causing the problem ?

The pc is about 3 years old and of course bits not made anymore.

Its an AMD K7 AthlonXP 2600 on an Asrock AMD K7S8XE+, and a Geforce FX5200 graphics card.

If I got another PSU to try would I have to be careful with the power, at the mo it has a 300w or could I get larger ?

TIA John

Stuartli 15:55 04 Dec 2006

The more watts the better - in fact your graphics card may require plenty of them...:-)

I had a similar card and the manual stated a minimum of 300w and preferably 350w power supply - I had to buy a new PSU at the time as a result.

If there are no beeps then it is likely that the PSU is faulty and not sending a Power Good signal to the motherboard.

john-232317 16:07 04 Dec 2006

Thanks for the quick response, Perhaps it has done well to last as long as it has.

All I have to find now is a shop that sells PSU`s, I do miss the UK for getting bits and bobs.

Thanks again.

Stuartli 16:27 04 Dec 2006

Three years isn't a long time - I have a nine-year-old Enermax PSU which came with a new case.

The system was gradually upgraded over the next eight years and the PSU continued to cope with the additional hardware quite happily.

Following another upgrade and a graphics card failure, I bought the FX5200 mentioned but noticed the manual's advice re wattage.

So I checked out the PSU and discovered that it wasn't a 235w example as had been believed, but a mere 100w.

It says a lot for the known quality of the brand that it coped so well up to that point...:-)

The FX5200 quickly gave way, however, to a ATi 9550, a slightly better card, when it proved faulty.

john-232317 11:10 07 Dec 2006

Tried new PSU, looks like the motherboard :-(

anyone got a spare Asrock AMD K7S8XE+ ?

Hertz Van Rentyl 11:26 07 Dec 2006

Got a gigabyte GA-K8NXP-9 that I won for filling in a survey about 2 years ago. Would need a (939 pin processor).

john-232317 13:46 07 Dec 2006

Thanks for the offer, but I would need to upgrade too much ;-) I really just want to swop MB.
thanks john

denali 15:12 08 Dec 2006

Hertz Van Rentyl: Please forgive me if I appear rude but the M/B you mentioned in this post I have been trying to get for almost two years. If you would consider selling it to me I would obviously pay all your expenses!

Technotiger 15:41 08 Dec 2006

Hi, your mobo is available in Spain, or should be ... scroll down to Spain :-)

click here

Cheers

Hertz Van Rentyl 22:38 08 Dec 2006

Hello
Please contact me and we can sort something out.

john-232317 13:19 05 Mar 2007

Got MB off ebay.... solved thanks for the help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?