No Audio Device

Tycho 10:59 03 Apr 2009

When I was given this rather old HP desktop I decided to upgrade it with more memory and a pair of speakers.

The problem is that the computer does not pass a signal to the speakers. There are all the relevant sockets on the back of the computer: red, blue and green. The speaker wire is plugged into the green. Following the trouble shooter in Help I tries a CD: nothing and then went on to Sounds and Audio Devices Properties. This tells me that there is no audio device. I then wondered if the sockets on the back of the computer are actually connected to something. Tehy sertainly appear to be connected to the mother board (no separate sound card) so I think that there should be on board sound.

What is the next step, please.

T

pa1916 11:17 03 Apr 2009

If this is onboard audio then you will require the drivers from the mobo disk i take it your running WXP.

Stuartli 11:27 03 Apr 2009

If it is on-board sound, you will need to ensure that this is Enabled in the Bios.

By using Everest Home Edition or SIW (System Information for Windows) you will be able to find out who has manufactured the on-board sound chip (most likely Realtek or C-Media).

Then you will be able to download the latest drivers from the manufacturer's website.

Tycho 12:18 03 Apr 2009

Thanka for your help so far.

I have had a look at the BIOS setup menus and can't find any items relating to sound. Perhaps I am not recognising them. How are they labelled?

I have scanned the computer using Belarc and cannot see anything relating specifically to sound but it says towds the bottom on the right: "no multimedia". Does this mean no sound capability?

I will now have a look at Everest Home edition and see what it can tell me.

T

Tycho 12:29 03 Apr 2009

Had a look at Everest all I could discover was this:
Device Description Type
Intel 82801DB ICH4 - AC'97 Audio Controller [B-0] PCI
Nothing else realted to audio or sound.

In which area should I be looking for the on board sound? I wonder if I have missed it.

T

birdface 12:42 03 Apr 2009

Maybe try Control Panel.Administrative tools.Services and scroll down to Windows audio and make sure it is set to automatic.
or maybe try device manager.
Right click my computer.properties.Hardware.Device manager.Audio and see what audio it has and see if any yellow exclamation marks beside it.maybe try rolling back the driver for it.

Stuartli 13:08 03 Apr 2009

AC '97 is on-board sound...:-)

Tycho 13:15 03 Apr 2009

Thanks for that.

Windows audio was already set to automatic.

Device manager-> Multimedia Audio Controller Gives:

Device type: Other devices
Manufacturer: Unknown

Device status: the driveres for this device are not installed (code 28)

To reinstall the drivers for the device, click Deinstall Driver.

I did this but it cold not find any drivers even though I allowed the computer to search the web for a driver.

Wht can I do next?

Tycho 13:18 03 Apr 2009

I forgat to say that the icon for the MM Audon Controller had a yellow warning sign embellishing it.

But I imagine that you assumed that!

T

birdface 13:20 03 Apr 2009

maybe try this one and see how you get on.

click here Its the one I downloaded and use.But maybe better waiting to see if someone disagrees.

Stuartli 13:22 03 Apr 2009

These are the specification details of the Intel 82801 DB:

click here

These are the most likely audio drivers:

click here*%20XP%20Professional&lang=eng

or enter the model number of your HP Desktop into:

click here

to find AC '97/audio drivers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017