"no active mixer devices available " no sound fro

Sparkly 12:41 13 Jan 2009

Hi all just takeing a look at a friends laptop with no sounds there is no icon in the task bar and i have been into control panel/sounds and audio devices and all options for the tabs are greyed out.Looked in the device manager and there are three exclamation marks Multimedia Audio controller, PCI Modem, Video Controller (VGA Compatable)all read Code 28 the drivers for this device are not installed. I click reinstall drivers and the Hardware wizard loads (install software automaticly reccommended)the wizard searches then tells me Cannot install hardware because the wizard cannot find the nessaccery software. have ran sfc/scannow with no results have downloaded sndvol32 but told there are no active mixer devices available go to control panel/add hardware click advance volume controll but get the same message "no active mixer devices available " all works fine except the sounds even though there is an exclamation mark next to the PCI Modem, Video Controller (VGA Compatable) i can get on the web wirelessly and the graphics are fine can anyone advise please.
Windows XP Home
SP 3
EI laptop MID2020
Intel Celeron 2.60
I have a recovery disc from Ei and allso an XP Home original disc if that will help. Thanks in advance

MAT ALAN 12:55 13 Jan 2009

i think you will need to go to manufacturers website and download audio drivers from there

or
use prog in link
click here
find out what audio chip set you have and you may be able to find standalone drivers for it...

click here

audio drivers could be the one in the link, worth a try first ya got nothing to loose...

Sparkly 13:30 13 Jan 2009

Hi MAT ALAN thanks for the reply i will let you know how things turn out.

Sparkly 14:55 13 Jan 2009

Hi MAT ALAN well the AC97 software did the trick got sound back on again could be doing with being a bit louder but hay its sounds none the less at least i can hand it back working... many thanks.

MAT ALAN 15:02 13 Jan 2009

Glad it worked, should be an icon in systray now for system volume you might need to adjust that

MAT ALAN 15:03 13 Jan 2009

click here

If the download didn't give you the media rack option, you might want to try that, i have it and it's not too shabby, it might make a difference...

Sparkly 15:05 13 Jan 2009

Yep it there allright got the slider to full you can here the music ok but its not going to make your ears bleed....but im sure she will be happy if now got sounds coming from it again.
Thanks again.

Sparkly 15:07 13 Jan 2009

"media rack option" do you mean the volume control box?

MAT ALAN 15:15 13 Jan 2009

No its actually a stand alone Control box with a huge amount of options that may change sound quality,
it includes a mixer and that sort of stuff...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?