No access to CD tray

Matata 16:34 02 Aug 2008

I have reconnected my old computer(ME O/S) after it has stood idle for 2 years and now only opens the safe mode and i can not open the CD tray.I do not wish to connect it to the internet, but only use it for games for the grandchildren , word processing and CD's. How can I bring it back for these purposes please?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:53 02 Aug 2008

Have you got the ME CD and the seial number on the PC?

Is there any software on the PC you do not wish to lose?

If you are OK with the above, it may be best to reformat and reinstall windows.

Sapins 20:42 02 Aug 2008

There is a small hole just underneath the tray, using a straightened paper clip push it in the hole, that should release it, turn the power off first.

Matata 16:16 03 Aug 2008

Sapins
There is no small hole on my computer, but would like to reformate windows. How can I unloch the cd tray now?

Stuartli 16:47 03 Aug 2008

The CD drive itself has the small hole (or at least shouldo) as Sapins mentions.

Are you sure that the power connection lead is still attached to the CD-ROM drive?

Matata 17:49 03 Aug 2008

There is definitely no small hole and all leads are connected; everything is working except I can not open the tray

woodchip 17:55 03 Aug 2008

Right click the drive and choose eject. to get it to Start, I do not know if this works with ME. Start Computer keep tapping F8 choose Command Prompt only.

Then at the Prompt type

scanreg /restore

press enter note space before / choose a old date then press enter

Jak_1 18:00 03 Aug 2008

If the pc only boots in safe mode then that could be the reason that the cd tray won't open. Safe mode only uses the minimum to get the os running and therefore may have dissabled the cd driver in safe mode use.
Have you tried doing a system restore in safe mode to a date before you put the pc into storage?

woodchip 18:08 03 Aug 2008

CD drive will not work in Safe mode, But it should still open as it does not cut the power

woodchip 18:09 03 Aug 2008

CD drive will not work in Safe mode, But it should still open as it does not cut the power.

You could also try opening the Drive as computer is booting

Matata 19:58 03 Aug 2008

jack_1
You seem to have the answer. my system restore date goes back to Nov. 2005 and even going back one date further, but after the process i get the messages that it can not restore.Can i open the tray in safe mode ;if so how please?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?