Nikon software suite

podlod 10:03 30 Aug 2008

Hi, I have just purchased the Nikon D200 camera and a Nikon Software suite disc is also provided if needed. I already have Picasa for my photos, and Gimp plus Photo.Net for my photo alteration work, do you think that this software that is provided with the camera is beneficial to me or better than what I already have? much obliged for any info.

Bagsey 10:19 30 Aug 2008

I have a Nikon D40 and got the same software disc,and installed it. I have never found it to be of great use as I have paintshop pro plus other freebies for working on the images. So I would say dont bother to install it just use other better freebies. Irfanview comes to mind if you dont have Paintshop Pro or similar.

hssutton 10:32 30 Aug 2008

If you're going to shoot raw then yes it will be of great help. There are of course much better software available in this area such as Adobes Lightroom 2, but of course greater expense is incurred.

podlod 16:19 03 Sep 2008

Hi, thank you both for your help and will take your advice.

ventanas 16:52 03 Sep 2008

Paint Shop Pro is useless with Raw. Get Lightroom. it's better than sliced bread, and the D200 deserves it.
If you want to go the Nikon route there is Capture NX2 and Camera Control Pro, both of which I use, but they do of course involve additonal expense.

highside 12:04 20 Sep 2008

Didn't you get Capture NX software free when you bought the D200, mine came from Nikon about a month after I bought the camera, although this was a while ago you should check if it is still the case.
I use NX for everything, mainly RAW but jpegs etc are just as easily processed. For RAW - if you are using XP Windows RAW viewer is excellent and lets you open RAW pics in windows viewer.Picture Project which was bundled with my camera software is handy for importing RAW into NX.
Sorry if a bit belated, just seen your post.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone