Nikon digital camera.......storage ?

Magik™ 18:22 11 May 2003

hi, just on the point of ordering a digital camera,but, i now notice that,and i quote, storage not supplied, it takes compact flash type I and II, now i am lost, first what are they? and second, does it mean i have to get the above before i can use it? as you can tell i am new to this :-((

thanks

_Treb_ 18:30 11 May 2003

Compact flash and smart media are cards on whivh your photos are stored in the camera. Check on a PC site for more info. I use Smart Media and a 64 Megabyte card costs £20 - £30.

Magik™ 18:33 11 May 2003

Thanks, i have been to the nikon web site, but it does not say.i will continue looking.

_Treb_ 18:43 11 May 2003

CompactFlash® is a very small removable mass storage device. First introduced in 1994 by SanDisk Corporation, CF™ cards weigh a half ounce and are the size of a matchbook. They provide complete PCMCIA-ATA functionality and compatibility plus TrueIDE functionality compatible with ATA/ATAPI-4. At 43mm (1.7") x 36mm (1.4") x 3.3mm (0.13"), the device's thickness is less than one-half of a current PCMCIA Type II card. It is actually one-fourth the volume of a PCMCIA card. Compared to a 68-pin PCMCIA card, a CF card has 50 pins but still conforms to PCMCIA ATA specs. It can be easily slipped into a passive 68-pin Type II adapter card that fully meets PCMCIA electrical and mechanical interface specifications.

CompactFlash cards are designed with flash technology, a non-volatile storage solution that does not require a battery to retain data indefinitely. CompactFlash storage products are solid state, meaning they contain no moving parts, and provide users with much greater protection of their data than conventional magnetic disk drives. They are five to ten times more rugged and reliable than disk drives including those found in PC Card Type III products. CF cards consume only five percent of the power required by small disk drives.

Borrowed this from here click here

Magik™ 18:47 11 May 2003

thanks again,now i am getting there.....

siouxah1 20:03 11 May 2003

Magik,

Most camera manufacturers include a storage card - Smartmedia or Compact flash as appropriate to model. This card is useable but of such a small capacity that few photos can be stored.

It is better to buy a larger card. Some good prices at:-

click here

click here

siouxah1 20:08 11 May 2003

PS.

Nothing to do with storage, however, do not know model you are buying but look into getting rechargeable NiMh batteries. Which are a must bearing in mind how power hungry digital cameras are. (Should AA batteries be used.)

Regards Brian j.

britto 20:32 11 May 2003

Just got camera memory from this company, good prices,good delivery. click here

Magik™ 22:10 11 May 2003

thanks all for your help.it is all falling into place....going to order camera in the morning,could do it tonite, but want to check they have them in stock.

Bagsey 23:39 11 May 2003

If you need Compact Flash etc. try click here Thet are as cheap as you will find and no VAT as they are in the Channel Islands. I just got a 64meg SD Card for £20.00

anchor 09:13 12 May 2003

Bagsey is correct, his link to sevendayshop will supply compact flash cards at the best price. I have used them many times, and find them good.

If you would like to read a review of the camera you intend buying , go here:

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans échec ?