NICs

freakbrothers 23:22 06 Mar 2003

hi,

I just got broadband installed to my PC,and its working fine just now. I am about to reformat the drive, and also add another new drive.
This new drive will become my primary master, and the old one will be the slave.

Now, b4 I reformat.
How am i meant to hook up to the net after I delete all the stuff on this drive?

ie
Is their a 'driver' or something i have to do to turn on my NIC and allow me to connect to my broadband connection..

Please help, as am just about to reformat the hard drive otherwise

Rgds
Freddy

Simon_P 23:36 06 Mar 2003

What OS are you using?
What is your NIC (ie) realtek ****** family Fast eathernet pci card.

If you are using XP it will most lickly have the driver, or you should have a driver disk that came with card, if not then you may be able to download driver from their web site and save to floppy (do this before you re format) just incase you cant connect.

hope this helps

freakbrothers 23:41 06 Mar 2003

nice 1 4 the response.
OS is currently winxp, but after format it will be Win2000 Pro.

NIC is a NETGEAR something or other, ive got the details somewhere,Ive also got the relevant drivers 4 it.
BUT

Do I have to do anything special to connect to the broadband connection after formating the disk. I mean all that IP stup, and MAC address etc...

Thank you , and any help appreciated

rgds
freddy

freakbrothers 23:48 06 Mar 2003

any more suggestions???

Simon_P 23:57 06 Mar 2003

Dont understand why you want to go back to 2000 after XP but that is your choise.

I have never used 2000 but expect that it will auto set that for you, XP dose, However I use Cable (blueyonder) so not sure if same would apply to an adsl setup.

Need sleep

Good luck

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?